The ration card is the oldest form of proof of residence in India, and linking it with Aadhar will allow you to receive a variety of benefits in addition to preventing fraud. An Aadhaar card can be linked to a Ration card both online and offline.
Below is a simple step-by-step guide on how to link your Aadhaar card to your ration card, as well as the documents needed to do so.
Follow these steps to link your Aadhaar card with your Ration card online-
- Navigate to your state’s Official Public Distribution System (PDS) portal
- Select the option to link Aadhaar with active cards
- Enter your Ration card number first, followed by your Aadhaar card number
- Enter your registered mobile phone number
- Choose the Continue/Submit option
- An OTP will now be sent to your mobile phone
- Enter the OTP on the Aadhaar Ration Link page, and your request will be sent
- You will receive an SMS notification once the process is completed
To link your ration card to your Aadhar card, simply follow these simple steps:
- Bring all the documents to the nearest Public Distribution System (PDS) or Ration shop
- Submit all the necessary documents to the PDS/Ration shop
- To verify your Aadhaar card, the PDS/Ration shop representative may request fingerprint authentication
- You will be notified via SMS once the documents have been submitted and the process has begun
- You will receive another SMS informing you that your Aadhaar card has been successfully linked with your Ration card
Make sure to have all the necessary documents with you, including a photocopy of the Aadhaar card of the family head and each member of the family, copies of the original ration card for the verification process, a passport-sized photo of the family head, and a copy of the bank passbook if the Aadhaar card is not linked to a bank account.
Linking Aadhaar with a ration card offers several benefits to individuals and the government. Here are some key advantages-
- Elimination of Duplicate and Ghost Ration Cards: Linking Aadhaar helps in eliminating duplicate and ghost ration cards, ensuring that only eligible beneficiaries receive essential food grains and subsidies. This reduces leakage and promotes transparency in the distribution system.
- Targeted Delivery of Welfare Schemes: Aadhaar linkage enables targeted delivery of various government welfare schemes. It ensures that benefits reach the intended beneficiaries directly, minimizing intermediaries and preventing potential fraud or misappropriation.
- Streamlined Verification Process: By linking Aadhaar with ration cards, the verification process becomes more efficient and accurate. It helps in authenticating the identity and eligibility of individuals, reducing the chances of impersonation or false claims.
- Easy Access to Subsidized Food Grains: Aadhaar linkage enables individuals to avail subsidized food grains and other essential commodities through the Public Distribution System (PDS) more conveniently. It simplifies the process of procuring ration and eliminates the need for separate identification documents.
- Efficient Management of Government Resources: The integration of Aadhaar with ration cards helps the government in better management of resources and planning. It provides accurate data on the number of beneficiaries, their demographics, and consumption patterns, facilitating effective policy formulation and allocation of subsidies.
- Promotes Financial Inclusion: Aadhaar linkage encourages financial inclusion by enabling direct benefit transfers (DBT) to individuals’ bank accounts. Subsidies and entitlements can be directly credited, reducing dependency on cash transactions and ensuring timely access to funds.
It is always recommended to make a list of required documents and keep them handy. In this case, we’ve made things simple for you by compiling a list of documents required to link an Aadhaar card to a Ration card both online and offline.
- Aadhaar photocopies of all family members
- Aadhaar photocopy of the family’s head
- Ration card photocopy with original card (for verification) Bank Passbook copy, if the bank account is not linked to Aadhaar card
- A passport-sized photograph of the family’s head is required.
Also Read: Link your Aadhaar Card to Bank Account
Wrapping it Up:
Linking Aadhaar with a ration card is a crucial step towards achieving a more efficient and transparent public distribution system in India. By following the simple process outlined above, individuals can ensure that their ration cards are correctly linked with their Aadhaar cards, enabling them to access subsidized food grains and other essential commodities seamlessly. This linkage also facilitates targeted delivery of government welfare schemes, eliminating duplicate and ghost ration cards, and reducing the chances of fraud and misappropriation. Moreover, the integration of Aadhaar with ration cards promotes financial inclusion and enables efficient resource management by providing accurate data for policy formulation. By embracing this process, individuals contribute to a more inclusive and equitable society, where the benefits of government schemes reach the intended beneficiaries promptly and effectively.
Read More: How to Link Aadhaar Card with EPF Account