An Aadhaar card is a unique identification number issued to each and every citizen of the country. It is one of the most important documents to be submitted for a major number of purposes. Aadhaar card works as a proof of identity and hence, is mandatory for Indian citizens to have one. Anyone who fails to submit an Aadhaar card or does not carry it can restrict him/her for several activities.
Table of Contents
- What is an Aadhaar Card?
- How to Enrol for an Aadhaar Card?
- How to Enrol for a BAAL Aadhaar Card?
- How to Check Aadhaar Card Status Online?
- How to Download an Aadhaar Card?
- How to Verify the Aadhaar card?
- How to Update/Edit the Aadhaar Card?
Let us understand more about the Aadhaar card in the blog below!
What is an Aadhaar Card?
The Aadhaar card is a 12-digit identification number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). This one-of-a-kind number is generated by combining a person’s biometric details, such as fingerprints and iris scans, with demographic information, such as address and date of birth.
- The Aadhaar card number is one-of-a-kind, which eliminates duplication and fake identification
- It can be used to access a variety of government-run welfare schemes and programmes
- Aadhaar card prompts transparency
|Aadhaar Issuing Authority
|Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
|Inception of Aadhaar Card
|Aadhaar Card Validity
|Total Number of Enrolment Centres
|More than 30,000
|Total Number of Enrolment (approx)
|Over 125 crore
|Aadhaar Card Customer Care Number
Who is Eligible for an Aadhaar Card?
Following people are eligible for an Aadhaar card:
- Indian citizens
- NRIs and foreigners who have been staying in India for over 12 months
- Baal Aadhaar card is meant for children below the age of 5 years
What are the Documents Required for an Aadhaar Card?
To apply for an Aadhaar card, you will need to provide certain documents to prove your identity and address. These documents are used to verify your personal information and ensure that the Aadhaar card is issued correctly.
The specific documents required for an Aadhaar card may vary depending on your age, gender, and other factors. However, in general, you will need to provide proof of identity and proof of address.
For proof of identity, you can use any one of the following documents:
- Voter ID card
- PAN card
- Driving license
- Government-issued ID card
For proof of address, you can use any one of the following documents:
- Bank statement
- Utility bill (electricity, water, gas, etc.)
- Ration card
- Property tax receipt
- Insurance policy
You may also need to provide other documents, such as proof of date of birth, if this information is not available in any of the documents you provide. It is important to check with the issuing authority to determine the exact documents required for your situation.
Other than these documents, biometric information is also mandatory to be submitted-
- Iris scan
Read More: How to Lock/Unlock Aadhaar Biometric?
How to Enrol for an Aadhaar Card?
To enrol for an Aadhaar Card, an applicant must follow the instructions provided.
- Find the nearest Aadhaar enrollment centre or Aadhaar Seva Kendra on the UIDAI website.
- Fill out the Aadhaar card form and submit it along with the required documents to the concerned officials.
- Provide your biometric information (fingerprints, iris scan, etc.) as required.
- Collect the acknowledgement slip after the enrollment process is complete.
- You will receive a notification on your registered mobile number and email address regarding the status of your Aadhaar card enrollment.
- Your Aadhaar card will be delivered to the address you provided on the form.
How to Enrol for a BAAL Aadhaar Card?
Baal Aadhaar Card is issued to children below the age of 5 years. It is blue in colour and does not require a child’s biometrics. Following are the instructions to follow to enrol for a Baal Aadhaar card-
- Visit the Aadhar card official website to locate the nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre
- Fill out the Aadhar card application form with all of the necessary information
- A child’s photograph will be required, however, there is no need to submit the child’s biometrics
- Submit all relevant documents, such as the child’s birth certificate. It is necessary to submit one of the parents’ Aadhaar numbers for authentication
- Collect the acknowledgement slip after submitting your documents
- A verification message will be sent to the parent’s registered mobile number
- The Baal Aadhaar card will be mailed to the specified address
#AadhaarChildEnrolment— Aadhaar (@UIDAI) July 23, 2021
A child below 5 years gets a blue colour #BaalAadhaar. Biometric update is mandatory at the age of 5 yrs.
Take your child to a nearby Aadhaar Kendra for #MandatoryBiometricUpdate. To locate #AadhaarEnrolment Centre, click here: https://t.co/oCJ66DD0fK pic.twitter.com/eehCUwjAVz
How to Check Aadhaar Card Status Online?
Following are the steps to check the Aadhaar card status–
- Log in to the official UIDAI website
- Click on ‘Check Aadhaar Status’ under ‘My Aadhaar’ section
- Enter ‘Enrolment number’ and ‘time of enrolment’
- Enter ‘captcha’ verification code and click on ‘Check Status’
How to Download an Aadhaar Card?
An applicant can download the Aadhaar card in case he/she hasn’t received the physical copy of it. Following are the steps to download the Aadhaar card-
- Visit the official website of UIDAI
- Click on ‘Download AADHAR’ under the section ‘My Aadhaar’
- Upon clicking the download button, you will be redirected to a new page with three options to choose from
- Enter your Aadhaar number, enrolment ID or virtual ID
- Enter captcha code
- Click on ‘Send OTP’ or enter ‘OTP’ to download the Aadhaar card
How to Verify the Aadhaar card?
Follow the given instructions to verify the Aadhaar card–
- Visit the Aadhaar card official website
- Navigate to ‘Aadhaar services’ under the section ‘My Aadhaar’
- Click on ‘Verify an Aadhaar number’
- Enter 12 digit Aadhaar number and enter captcha code
- Click on ‘Proceed to Verify’
How to Update/Edit the Aadhaar Card?
There are generally two reasons to edit/update Aadhaar card:
- Change in demographic information like name, date of birth, gender, address, etc.
- Biometric Aadhaar data
A user can update or edit their AADHAR card online or by visiting an Aadhaar enrolment centre. The steps for updating/editing your Aadhaar card online are as follows:
- Visit the official website of UIDAI
- Locate ‘Update Your Aadhaar’ under the section ‘My Aadhaar’
- Click on ‘Update Demographic Data Online’ (if you would like to make a change in name, date of birth, gender etc)
- Click on ‘Proceed to update Aadhaar’
- Enter 12 digit Aadhaar number, enter the captcha and click on ‘send OTP’
- You will receive an OTP to your registered mobile number
- Follow the instructions afterwards to update/edit your Aadhaar
Benefits of Aadhar Card
Some of the benefits of having an Aadhaar card are:
- It provides a single, unique identification number that can be easily verified and authenticated.
- It helps reduce the use of multiple documents for proof of identity and address, making it convenient for individuals to access various services.
- It enables the direct transfer of government subsidies and benefits, such as LPG subsidies, into the bank accounts of beneficiaries, reducing the scope for corruption and leakages.
- It enables easy and secure access to government services, such as opening a bank account, obtaining a driving license, or applying for a passport.
- It helps in the efficient delivery of public services, such as healthcare and education, by enabling the creation of a database of beneficiaries and their entitlements.
- It helps in better targeting government schemes and benefits to the intended beneficiaries, ensuring that they reach the right people.
Things to Remember when Updating the Aadhaar
Here are some tips to remember when filling out the Aadhaar form, whether you are doing it online or offline:
- Use capital letters to fill in the form
- Do not use salutations such as Mr., Mrs., or Miss before your name
- Provide the mobile number that you are currently using
- Make sure that all the information you provide is accurate and up-to-date
- Submit all the necessary documents along with your application. Do not submit any expired documents, as this may cause your application to be rejected
- Provide the complete address where you would like your Aadhaar card to be delivered
- You can fill out the form in either English or your native language.