The digital era has revolutionized the way we handle our financial transactions and government processes. One significant development in this realm is the requirement to link your Aadhar card with your income tax returns. The Aadhar card, issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), serves as a crucial identity document for Indian citizens. Linking your Aadhaar card with your income tax returns has become mandatory, streamlining the tax filing process and enhancing the government’s efforts to curb tax evasion.
In this blog post, we will guide you through the steps to link your Aadhar card with your income tax returns seamlessly. Whether you’re a first-time taxpayer or someone who’s been filing returns for years, it’s important to understand the process and ensure compliance with the latest regulations.
Here is a step-by-step procedure to link your Aadhaar card to your Income Tax Returns:
- Start by visiting the official website https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal/.
- Log in using your username and password.
- Look for the option “Link Aadhaar” and select it.
- Enter your Aadhaar and PAN number as prompted.
- Choose the option “Link now” to proceed.
- Verify your Aadhaar details against your PAN data.
- Select one of the following options to verify your Income Tax Return:
- If you already have an Electronic Verification Code (EVC), choose the option to submit an EVC.
- If you don’t have an EVC and wish to generate one, select the corresponding option.
- If you prefer to generate an Aadhaar OTP for e-verification, choose this option.
- If you want to e-verify later or send the ITR-V, select the appropriate option.
- In this case, select option number 3. Once selected, a One Time Password (OTP) will be sent to the mobile number registered with your Aadhaar.
- Use the OTP received on your mobile number to e-verify the uploaded return.
- Upon successful e-verification, the portal will display a message stating “Return successfully e-verified. Download the acknowledgement.”
Verifying Income Tax Return (ITR) through Net Banking
To verify your Income Tax Return (ITR) through Net Banking, follow these steps:
- Login to the e-filing portal using your Net Banking credentials.
- After uploading the return, you will be presented with three options: a. If you want to verify your e-return immediately. b. If you want to generate an Aadhaar OTP to verify your e-return. c. If you want to e-verify at a later time.
- Choose the first option if you wish to verify your e-return right away.
- The acknowledgment will be displayed, indicating that you have successfully filed the Income Tax Returns through the Net Banking portal.
- No further action is necessary as you have completed the verification process.
- Streamlined Filing Process: Linking your Aadhaar card to your income tax returns helps streamline the filing process. It simplifies the verification and authentication of your identity and reduces the chances of errors or discrepancies in your tax filing.
- Faster Processing of Refunds: With Aadhaar linkage, the processing of income tax refunds becomes faster. The income tax department can easily verify your identity and process your refund promptly, reducing the waiting time for receiving your tax refund.
- Simplified KYC Process: Linking Aadhaar to your income tax returns simplifies the Know Your Customer (KYC) process. It eliminates the need to provide separate identification documents during the tax filing process, saving time and effort.
- Prevention of Tax Evasion: Aadhaar linkage helps in preventing tax evasion by ensuring proper identification and authentication of taxpayers. It reduces the possibility of individuals creating multiple PAN cards or using false identities for tax purposes.
- Access to Government Services: Aadhaar linkage may provide access to various government services and benefits. It enables easier verification of your identity when availing government schemes, subsidies, or financial assistance that require income tax returns as supporting documents.
Linking your Aadhaar card to your income tax returns in India is now a mandatory requirement that brings several advantages. It streamlines the filing process, enhances security, and helps prevent tax evasion. Additionally, it facilitates faster processing of refunds and simplifies the KYC process. Moreover, linking Aadhaar to income tax returns may provide access to government services and benefits. By complying with this requirement, taxpayers can ensure a smoother and more efficient tax filing experience while contributing to a more transparent and robust taxation system in the country.