Under the laws, it is mandatory to link PAN to Aadhaar card by the end of 30th September 2021. The central government has added a new section 234H in the Income-tax Act, 1961 where it states that anyone who fails to link Aadhaar and PAN card will be liable to pay a penalty of Rs. 1000. A statement given by the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) states that- ‘if anyone fails to link PAN to Aadhaar card, it will become inoperative’. The board also clarified that in case, a user links the PAN card to the Aadhaar card after the deadline, then the PAN card will “become operative from the date of intimation of Aadhaar number.”
As a consequence of not linking the Aadhaar card to PAN card, the user will not be able to quote PAN to conduct financial transactions. Hence, it is mandatory to link Aadhaar to the PAN card to prevent oneself from a penalty and inoperative PAN card.
In this blog, we will discuss how to link the Aadhaar card and PAN card in various ways.
How to Link PAN to Aadhaar Card?
There are two ways to link PAN card to the Aadhaar card. A user can opt for any of the following ways to link PAN to Aadhaar-
- Link PAN to Aadhaar card through e-filing website
- Link PAN to Aadhaar card by sending an SMS
How to Link PAN to Aadhaar Card Online through e-filing Website?
Following are the steps to link PAN to Aadhaar card-
- Visit the official Income Tax Department e-filing website
- Click on ‘Link Aadhaar’
- Enter all the details
- Tick the box if your date of birth is mentioned in the Aadhaar card
- Now, tick the next box and enter the captcha code
- Click on ‘Link Aadhaar’
- You will be notified of successful Aadhaar linked with PAN Card
How to Link PAN to Aadhaar Card through SMS?
A user can link PAN to an Aadhaar card by following the below steps-
- Type an SMS in the given format- ‘UIDPAN<12 Digit AADHAAR number><10 digits PAN Number>
- Send a messageÂ from your registered mobile number to 567678 or 56161
Unable to Link Aadhaar Card to PAN Card- what to do Next?
A user might be unable to link his/her Aadhaar card to a PAN card if his/her name is wrongly spelt in the PAN Card or in the Aadhaar card.
In such a situation, the user is required to first correct the spelling and then link the Aadhaar card to the PAN Card. The following are the steps to be followed-
How to Correct Name in PAN Card?
A user is required to follow the steps given below-
- Visit the official e-filing website of NSDL
- Click on ‘Changes or Correction in PAN Data’ under the section ‘Application Type’
- Select the category ‘Individual’ and enter the details
- Write captcha code and click on ‘Submit’
- The updated PAN Card will be sent to the user’s given address
How to Correct Name in Aadhaar Card?
To correct wrong spelt name in Aadhaar card, follow the given mentioned steps-
- Visit the official Aadhaar Enrolment Centre
- Carry all the required documents
- Fill the Aadhaar enrolment form
- Submit the form and required documents to the concerned official
- Upon submission, an acknowledgement slip (contains the updated request number) will be provided
- This URN can be further used to check the status of the update request
How to Check if your Aadhaar Card is Linked to your PAN Card?
Below are the steps to check the status of the Aadhaar card-
- Visit the official e-filing website of the Income Tax Department
- Enter PAN number and Aadhaar number
- Click on ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’
Why is it important to link the Aadhaar Card and PAN Card?
Given below are the reasons behind linking Aadhaar Card and PAN Card-
- PAN Cards that are not linked with the Aadhaar Card will be deactivated after 30th September 2021
- Income tax return form might not be processed without linking Aadhaar with PAN
- Linking Aadhaar card with PAN Card can help the government identity fake PAN Cards
- It will become easier for Income Tax Department to track individuals transactions and the tax they are paying