A PAN card is one of the most essential documents to be submitted for filing IT returns, buying a property, home or a car, opening a bank account or more. A PAN card carries a 10-digit alphanumeric number which is allotted to eligible users with unique numbers.
An applicant can apply for a PAN card online and offline. The process to apply for a PAN card from any of the mediums might vary slightly; however, the documents, application process and the fee remains the same.
In this blog, we will understand how to apply for a PAN card online step by step-
How to apply for a PAN card online?
There are two platforms through which one can apply for a PAN card, one is UTIITSL and the other one is NSDL. The steps to apply for a PAN card through the platforms will slightly differ.
- How to apply for a PAN card online through NSDL?
Following are the steps to be followed to apply for a PAN card online through NSDL–
- Visit the official website of NSDL
- Locate ‘Application Type’ and click on it
- Choose the type of application you want to apply for (Form 49A- for Indian citizens), Form 49AA- for Foreign citizens)
- Choose the category from the given options
- Next, fill in the details carefully
- Choose the title (out of Shri, Smt or Kumari) to be reflected on the PAN card
- Write the Last name/Surname, First name and Middle name ( if there is any)
- Select DOB/Incorporation/Formation date in the following format – DD/MM/YY
- Write down the email address that is in use
- Enter the current mobile number
- Tick mark on the guidelines
- Enter the CAPTCHA code and submit the application
- Next, you will be redirected to the payment page to make a payment of Rs. 93 for Indian communication address and Rs 864 for foreign communication address
- Choose any of the given payment methods like a credit card, debit card, net banking, cheque or DD
- After the successful submission of the PAN card application, you will receive an acknowledgement number page. Take a printout for further use
- Paste your passport size photograph in the acknowledgement paper, sign it with a black pen and send the acknowledgement receipt to the Income Tax Department. Also send the residential proof, identity proof or other support documents as requested, within 15 days from the date of the online application
- You will receive your PAN card number to your registered mobile number and email id after the successful validation of all the documents
- How to apply for a PAN card online through UTIITSL
To apply for a PAN card online through UTIITSL, one needs to perform the following steps carefully-
- Visit the official website of UTIITSL and click on the option ‘For PAN Cards’
- Click on ‘Apply PAN Card’
- You will be redirected to a new page with various options such as PAN card as an Indian Citizen, PAN card as Foreign Citizen, Download e-PAN, etc.
- Click on ‘PAN card as an Indian Citizen’ or ‘PAN Card as Foreign Citizen’
- Click on the option that defines your citizenship and click on ‘Apply for a new PAN Card (Form 49A)’, ‘Regenerate Online PAN application (Form 49A)’, or ‘Download blank PAN Form 49A’
- Click on ‘Apply for a new PAN Card’
- You will be redirected to Form 49A or Form 49AA with two options to fill the form- ‘Physical Mode’ and ‘Digital Mode’
- Click on ‘Physical Mode’; for a physical copy of the PAN card, you need to submit the signed application to the nearest UTIITSL office
- Fill in all the required information such as ‘Status of the Applicant’ and choose your required PAN card mode
- Now, submit the application
- Make the required payment for your PAN Card, either through a DD, cheque, internet banking, credit card, or debit card
- You will receive the soft copy of an acknowledgement paper after the successful payment
- Take the printout of the acknowledgement paper, paste your passport size photograph, and sign it with a black pen
- Send the acknowledgement receipt to the Income Tax Department along with the copies of the identity proof and residence proof copies within 15 days of submission of the online application
- After the documentation process is completed, you will receive your PAN number to your registered mobile number and email id
Documents to be submitted for a PAN card
To apply for a PAN card, it is important to have the following documents to be submitted for a PAN card, failing to furnish any of the required documents can hinder the PAN card application process-
|Proof of Identity||Proof of Address|
|Voter ID card||AADHAR Card|
|AADHAR Card||Driving License|
|Passport||Voter ID card|
|Ration Card||Post office passbook|
|Photo ID Card||Domicile certificate|
|Bank certificate||Property Tax assessment order|
|Pensioner Card, Arm’s License, Central Government Health Scheme Card||Letter of allotment issued by the state or central government|
|Certificate of Identity (Signed by Member of Parliament/Municipal Councilor/Member of Legislative Assembly||Landline bill, gas connection card, water bill, bank account statement, credit card statement, electricity bill (not over 3 months)|
A PAN card is an important document; hence, while applying for it, make sure to fill the form carefully, submit only the valid documents, provide the registered or in use email address and mobile number. In case of no internet connectivity or any such facility, a user can also apply for a PAN card offline.