Have you lost your PAN card recently?
How to reprint a lost PAN card?
If these are the questions bothering you, the following blog will assist you.
This blog will go into detail about how to apply for a lost PAN card and what precautions an applicant should take before applying for a duplicate PAN card.
What is a Duplicate PAN card?
A duplicate PAN Card is an exact replica of the original PAN Card. It is given to an individual or taxpayer who has had his or her current PAN Card damaged, stolen, misplaced, or lost. The Income Tax Department of India has made it simple to apply for a lost PAN Card.
What are the Methods to Apply for a Lost/Duplicate PAN Card?
There are two ways to apply for a lost PAN card-
The online process for applying for a lost PAN Card is faster, simpler, and can be completed from the comfort of one’s own home, whereas an offline application for a lost PAN Card requires the applicant to locate an NSDL PAN service unit.
How to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card Online?
It is easy to apply for a lost PAN card online, all an applicant needs to do is to follow the mentioned steps-
- Visit the official website of ‘TIN-NSDL’
- Click on ‘Services’ and next on ‘PAN’
- Scroll the screen and reach ‘Reprint of PAN Card’ section and click on ‘Apply’
- The screen will display the entire online PAN application
- Next, select the category ‘Changes or Corrections in Existing PAN Data/Reprint of PAN Card’ and the application type ‘Changes or Corrections in Existing PAN Data/Reprint of PAN Card’
- Further, fill in all the required fields and click on ‘Submit’
- A token number will be generated and will be sent to the applicant’s registered email for future references
- Now, continue with filing the application
- Fill out all of the required information on the ‘Personal Details’ page and choose the PAN application submission mode from the available options (forward application documents physically, submit digitally through e-KYC & e-sign)
- Choose between a physical PAN card and an e-PAN card. A valid email address will be required if you choose an e-PAN card
- Fill out the contact information on the document details page and submit the application
- Following that, you will be redirected to the payment page, and an acknowledgement receipt will be generated for the payment
- The PAN card will be issued to the applicant within 15-20 working days
In the event of a lost PAN card, apply for a replacement. It is illegal to have more than one PAN card. A penalty of Rs 10,000 will be levied on anyone who has more than one PAN card
The acknowledgement number can be used to check the status of duplicate PAN cards
How to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card Offline?
Apply for a duplicate PAN card offline by following the given steps-
- Print or download the application form for duplicate PAN card
- Fill the form carefully in BLOCK letters
- Enter your 10 digit PAN number
- Attach 2 cross-signed passport size photographs (for individual applicants)
- Next, fill in all the required fields and details carefully
- The application form for a duplicate PAN card, proof of identity, proof of address, and other supporting documents must be submitted to the NSDL facilitation centre
- Complete the payment. Following the payment for the duplicate PAN card, an acknowledgement number will be generated, which can be used to track the status of the PAN card
- The duplicate PAN card form is then sent to the Income-tax PAN services for further processing by the PAN facilitation centre
- Following the processing of the PAN application form, the duplicate PAN card will be dispatched within 2 weeks after the department receives it
What are the Documents Required to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card?
Listed below are the list of documents required to apply for a duplicate PAN card-
- Self-attested identity proof like driving license, Aadhaar, voter ID, etc.
- Self-attested address proof like bank account statements, utility bills, Aadhaar, etc.
- Self-attested document with the mentioned date of your birth like a certificate of birth, Passport, matriculation certificate, etc.
- PAN allotment letter or a self-attested copy of PAN Card
When do you need a Duplicate PAN Card?
A duplicate PAN card is required under the following circumstances-
- Information to update in it
How to Surrender the Duplicate PAN Card?
Carrying more than one PAN card is a crime. The person who has more than one PAN card must pay a penalty of Rs. 10,000. As a result, if you have more than one PAN card, you must immediately surrender the duplicate PAN card by carefully following the instructions:
- Send a letter to the assessing officer stating that you wish to return the duplicate PAN card. Provide all of the PAN card’s required and mandatory information
- Mention the PAN card you wish to carry as well as the one you wish to submit
- Submit the letter to the assessing officer, who will process it and provide an acknowledgement number in return. The acknowledgement number will serve as proof that the PAN card you surrendered is now a cancelled PAN card
How Much to Pay for a Duplicate PAN Card?
A user can apply for a duplicate PAN card both online and offline; the table below shows the cost of obtaining a duplicate PAN card:
- If a physical PAN card is required-
|Mode of PAN application||Particulars||Fees (exclusive of applicable taxes)||Fees (inclusive of applicable taxes)|
|Physical mode (physical documents forwarded to NSDL e-gov)||Dispatch of physical PAN card in India (communication address in Indian address)||91||107|
|–||Dispatch of physical PAN card outside India (foreign address is provided as communication address)||862||1017|
|PAN applications submitted online through paperless modes (e-KYC & e-Sign scanned based/ DSC scanned based)||Dispatch of physical PAN card in India (communication address in Indian address)||86||101|
|–||Dispatch of physical PAN card outside India (foreign address is provided as communication address)||857||1011|
|Request or reprint of PAN card through a separate online link||Dispatch of physical PAN card in India (communication address in Indian address)||42||50|
|Dispatch of physical PAN card outside India (foreign address is provided as communication address)||813||959|
2. If a physical PAN card is not required
|Mode||Particulars||Fees (exclusive of applicable taxes)||Fees (inclusive of applicable taxes)|
|PAN application submitted online using physical mode (physical documents forwarded to NSDL e-Gov)||e-PAN card will be dispatched at the email ID mentioned in the PAN application||61||72|
|PAN application submitted online through paperless mode (e-KYC & e-Sign scanned based/ DSC scanned based)||e-PAN card will be dispatched at the email ID mentioned in the PAN application||56||66|
Who can Make the Payment for a PAN Card?
The table shows who can make a payment for a PAN card:
|Category of Applicant||Payment by Credit Card/Debit Card, Net Banking can be made/for|
|Individual||Self, immediate family members|
|HUF||Karta of the HUF|
|Company||Any director of the company|
|Firm/ Limited Liability Partnership||Any partner of the firm|
|Association of Person(s)/Body of Individuals /Association of Person(s) Trust/ Artificial Juridical Person/ Local Authority||Authorized Signatory covered under section 140 of Income Tax Act, 1961|
6 Things to know about Duplicate PAN Card
A duplicate PAN card functions similarly to an original PAN card and is accepted everywhere it is required. This is one of the aspects of a duplicate PAN card; the points below explain more about a duplicate PAN card:
- File an FIR for the lost PAN card and submit it to the NSDL office along with the required documents and reprint PAN application form
- PAN card application processing fee outside India is Rs. 1020 whereas it is Rs. 110 for Indian communication address
- Applicants may pay for a duplicate PAN card via net banking, DD, credit card, or debit card. Following successful payment, an acknowledgement screen with a downloadable acknowledgement receipt will be displayed
- An acknowledgement number will be generated once the payment for a duplicate PAN card is completed. This acknowledgement number should be saved by the applicant, printed, and sent to the NSDL e-GOV
- An applicant who is a minor need to mention his/her AADHAAR number in the application form
- If an applicant uses a thumb impression instead of a signature, it will be verified first by a Magistrate, a Gazetted Officer, or a Notary Public, using the official stamp and seal