Are you someone who is struggling to navigate the process of applying for a PAN card? Fret not, as we’ve got you covered! In this step-by-step guide, we’ll walk you through the process of applying for a PAN card in a simple and easy-to-understand manner. Whether you’re an Indian citizen or a foreigner, whether you prefer to apply online or offline, we’ve got all the details you need to obtain your PAN card hassle-free.
How to Apply for a PAN Card Online?
To apply for your PAN online, you have two options: the NSDL portal or the UTIITSL portal. Once you visit either of these portals’ official websites, you will need to fill out either Form 49A (for Indian citizens) or Form 49AA (for non-Indian citizens). To get started, follow the steps below after logging in to either the NSDL or UTIITSL web portal.
Apply for PAN Card through NSDL
- Visit the official website of NSDL and click on ‘Application Type’ on the next screen
- Choose the type of application you want to submit – Form 49A for Indian citizens or Form 49AA for NRIs
- Select a category from the drop-down menu
- Fill in your personal information carefully
- Choose your title (Shri, Smt, or Kumari) and enter your last name/surname, first name, and middle name (if applicable)
- Select your date of birth or incorporation/formation date in the format shown – DD/MM/YY
- Provide your current email address and mobile number
- Tick mark on the guidelines and submit your application after entering the CAPTCHA code
- Pay the application fee of Rs. 93 (or Rs. 864 for Form 49AA) using a credit card, debit card, net banking, check, or DD
- After submitting the application, you will receive an acknowledgement number page. Take a printout and keep it for future reference
- Affix a passport-sized photograph on the acknowledgement paper, sign it with a black pen and mail it to the Income Tax Department with your supporting documents within 15 days of the online application
- Once your documents are validated, your PAN card number will be sent to your registered email address and mobile number.
Also Read: How to Get a PAN Card in 48 hours?
Apply for a PAN Card through UTIITSL
- Go to the UTIITSL official website and click on the ‘For PAN Cards’ option.
- Select ‘Apply PAN Card’ and then choose either ‘PAN Card as an Indian Citizen’ or ‘PAN Card as a Foreign Citizen’ from the list of options.
- Click on the option that best describes your citizenship, then select ‘Apply for a New PAN Card (Form 49A)’ or ‘Regenerate Online PAN Application (Form 49A)’ or ‘Download Blank PAN Form 49A.’
- Choose ‘Apply for a New PAN Card’ and select your preferred mode of application – either ‘Physical Mode’ or ‘Digital Mode.’
- Fill in all the required information in the form, including your applicant status and preferred PAN card mode.
- Submit the application after ensuring that all the information provided is accurate.
- Make the required payment for your PAN card on the next screen using a DD, cheque, internet banking, credit card, or debit card.
- After payment, you will receive a soft copy of an acknowledgement paper.
- Print out the acknowledgement paper, paste your passport-sized photograph on it, and sign it with a black pen.
- Within 15 days of submitting the online application, send the acknowledgement receipt along with copies of your identity and residence proofs to the Income Tax Department.
- After the documentation process is completed, your PAN number will be sent to your registered mobile number and email address.
Also Read: How to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card?
How to Apply for a PAN Card Offline?
Perform the following steps to apply for a PAN card offline:
- Log in to the official NSDL website.
- Click on “Apply Online” and download the appropriate form: Form 49A for Indian citizens or Form 49AA for foreign citizens.
- Fill out the form with accurate information and upload all required supporting documents, including a passport-sized photograph.
- Pay the PAN card fee.
- Once the payment is confirmed, print a copy of the 15-digit acknowledgment number and sign it.
- Attach a passport-sized photograph and POI/POA documents.
- Send all the above documents to the NSDL office along with the Demand Draft (if applicable). Make sure to double-check everything before mailing the documents.
List of Documents to Submit for a PAN Card
To ensure a hassle-free PAN card verification process, it is important to have the following documents readily available and submit them along with your PAN card acknowledgement receipt:
|Proof of Address
|Proof of Identity
|Voter ID card
|Voter ID card
|Post office passbook
|Photo ID Card
|Property Tax assessment order
|Letter of allotment issued by the state or central government
|Pensioner Card, Arm’s License, Central Government Health Scheme Card
|Landline bill, gas connection card, water bill, bank account statement, credit card statement, electricity bill (not over 3 months)
|Certificate of Identity (Signed by Member of Parliament/Municipal Councilor/Member of Legislative Assembly
Also Read: How to Link Aadhaar Card with PAN Card?
To obtain a PAN card, there are both online and offline methods available, but it’s crucial to provide accurate documents and a registered email address and phone number. Failure to provide the necessary official documents or incorrect details can hinder the process of obtaining a PAN card.