The FASTag is a reloadable tag mandatory for all four-wheelers to travel through national highways across the country. The FASTag uses the RFID (Radio Frequency) technology to deduct the toll amount from the vehicle owner’s linked prepaid wallet.
The FASTag facility is a cashless model wherein the entire toll tax amount is collected through the FASTag without having to stop the vehicle. The FASTag is linked to the user’s prepaid account, such as a Paytm wallet, and is then fixed to the windscreen of his/her vehicle. As the user passes through the toll gate, the toll amount is automatically debited from the user’s prepaid account or a Paytm wallet linked to the FASTag. The user will be informed of the charges and provide an automated grievance redressal mechanism on the Paytm app itself.
FASTag allows the seamless automatic payment of tolls without any manual intervention. Using FASTag offers multiple benefits, such as it saves a lot of time and effort for the user by eliminating long queues at toll plazas. Additionally, travelers can use a single wallet for tolls, fuel expenses, vehicle parking expenses, or shopping, etc. while also making the benefit of various offers and discounts by recharging their FASTag on mobile applications like Paytm. On top of this, the use of FASTag is also beneficial for the environment as it reduces the use of paper and fuel.
Since February 16, 2021, the Government of India has made it mandatory for all four-wheeled vehicles to install the FASTag. Otherwise, the car owners will have to pay double the toll tax amount at every toll plaza that they cross through the Indian national highways.
How to Add Money to your FASTag?
You can add money to your FASTag through the following ways-
- Add money through bank
There are around 23 different banks that allow you to avail of their FASTag facility. Visit your bank’s official website and look for the ‘FASTag’ option. Next, click on ‘Recharge FASTag’ and add money to your FASTag account. Alternatively, you can also download your bank’s mobile application and follow similar instructions to add money to your FASTag account.
Note that different banks have slightly different processes to be followed to add money to FASTag.
- Add money through other mobile applications
In order to use your FASTag, you need to link it with a prepaid wallet or your bank account. You can use any mobile payment application to link your FASTag and add money easily. To add money to your FASTag, log in to the mobile application, click on ‘New Payment’ and then select ‘FASTag’. Next, you will be asked to select your FASTag issuer’s bank, and enter your vehicle ID (if you are linking your FASTag to your bank account for the first time). Once your FASTag account is linked, you can recharge it easily using the mobile application.
How to Add Money to your FASTag through Paytm?
You can easily add money to your FASTag account through Paytm. Simply follow the steps explained below-
- Open the Paytm mobile application
- Click on the ‘All services’ tab and select the ‘Recharge & Bills’ option from there
- Next, click on the ‘FASTag Recharge’ option and select your FASTag issuer bank
- Enter the Vehicle number linked to your FASTag account
- Add the recharge amount and make the payment
Additionally, Paytm also offers an option to ‘Manage FASTag’ which allows you to buy a FASTag, add money to your FASTag account, recharge other tolls and find additional information about the tag.
How to Add Money to your Paytm FASTag?
To add money to your Paytm FASTag, you simply need to add money to your Paytm wallet. If you have a balance in your Paytm wallet, your toll tax amount will directly be deducted from your Paytm wallet through your Paytm FASTag.
What are the Benefits of Using FASTag?
There are multiple reasons which explain why you should buy the FASTag for your four-wheeled vehicle. Some of them have been explained below-
- Using the FASTag technology, you will not have to lower the speed of your vehicle at the toll plazas. Since you can keep moving at the toll gates, without having to stop, your fuel and your time will be saved
- Since the traffic does not have to stop or slow down, there is almost no congestion or traffic jam at the toll plazas
- Traveling from one city/state to another by road comes across a lot of toll plazas. With the use of FASTag, you can enjoy the benefit of electronic payment, and a completely hassle-free driving experience throughout your journey; leaving the FASTag to take care of all your toll payments
- FASTag also makes it easier for you to keep a track of all your toll expenses. If you use Paytm to make your FASTag payments, you will receive regular in-app notifications and SMSs every time you make a payment through FASTag. Moreover, you can also track your expenses in your Paytm passbook
- The FASTag facility benefits the environment in the long run, as it reduces the use of paper and fuel
- Regular travelers can apply to convert their monthly, regular passes into FASTag passes. There is an online application procedure for corporates and fleet owners to do the same
- While various other digital wallets let you recharge your FASTag on your mobile phone in a matter of minutes; Paytm does not require you to do that either. All you need is some balance in your Paytm wallet and the toll tax amount will automatically be deducted from your wallet as and when you cross a toll plaza
- Upon linking your FASTag account with the Paytm mobile application, you will be automatically notified of all the transactions and toll deductions. This will help you keep a track of the money that you have spent at toll plazas during your travel
- A FASTag has a validity of 5 years
- Registering for a FASTag involves a simple, and quick process
To learn more about the benefits of using FASTag, click here.