The government has implemented the FASTag facility, a cashless model wherein the entire toll tax amount is collected through the FASTag to avoid long queues and jams at national highways across the country. Since 16th February 2021, all four-wheelers have to mandatorily get the tag fitted on their vehicles.
The FASTag is operated by 35 different banks, which are governed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI). The FASTag facility eliminates the manual collection of the tax at toll plazas by using a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology.
The idea is to facilitate electronic toll collection across the country, thereby saving people’s time and efforts in the long run. The FASTag technology actually works like this-
- The FASTag is linked to the user’s prepaid account, such as Paytm, and is then fixed to the windscreen of his/her vehicle
- With the use of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology, the toll amount is deducted from the linked prepaid account, such as a Paytm wallet
- The technology works such that the vehicle does not have to stop at the toll gate; the amount gets deducted as the vehicle passes through it
- Your prepaid FASTag account, which could be your Paytm wallet, for instance, will then be debited for the transaction; which eventually makes users’ travel easier and comfortable
What is Paytm DIY FASTag?
When you actually buy a FASTag, there are a few documents/IDs that you must furnish. These IDs include your vehicle’s RC, your PAN Card, and the KYC documents of your vehicle.
Now, when you buy a FASTag on the Paytm application, you get an edge even if you don’t have these documents handy. If you are KYC-verified with Paytm, it allows you to buy your FASTag even without submitting these details right at the moment. This concept is termed as ‘DIY FASTag’ or ‘Do It Yourself FASTag’. It means that you can buy your FASTag at one time and upload the necessary documents later.
If you are KYC verified with Paytm and want to buy a FASTag on the Paytm app right now, but cannot find your vehicle RC or number at the moment, you do not need to stop there. You can still go on to buy your DIY FASTag and upload the required details later.
How to Buy Paytm DIY FASTag?
You can easily buy Paytm DIY FASTag on the Paytm app in these simple steps-
- Log in to the Paytm app and click on the ‘Search’ icon on the main screen
- Search for ‘DIY FASTag’ on the app
- On the ‘DIY FASTag product page’, enter your delivery address and promo code, if any and click on ‘Buy FASTag’
- Take only 3 simple steps and buy the Paytm DIY FASTag now!
How to Activate Paytm DIY FASTag?
Once you have purchases the Paytm DIY FASTag, here’s how you can activate it on the Paytm app-
- After the delivery of your DIY FASTag to your address, scan the QR code provided with the Fastag or visit https://m.paytm.me/activate-fastag to activate your FASTag
- Enter the barcode number on your FASTag and provide the Vehicle Number against which FASTag needs to be issued
- Upload RC images and your FASTag will be activated!
- Note that your FASTag will be mapped directly to the mobile number which is used for activation
That’s it! Now, you don’t need to enter your Vehicle number and RC to buy Paytm FASTag – you can simply buy it now and activate later at your convenience!
Benefits of Using Paytm for your FASTag Transactions
Once your FASTag application process is successfully completed, your FASTag account will be created & automatically linked to Paytm wallet, hence you won’t have to face the hassle of recharging your FASTag every now and then. The toll tax amount will directly be deducted from your Paytm wallet as and when you cross a toll booth.
Using the Paytm wallet for your FASTag-related transactions will make it easier for you as you won’t have to recharge your FASTag again and again. All you need is a minimum balance in your Paytm wallet and the toll tax amount would directly be deducted from your wallet as and when you cross a toll plaza.
Having a single Paytm wallet for multiple needs will help you manage your balances and keep a detailed track of all your travel-related expenses, whether fuel, purchases at departmental stores, or expenses made at toll plazas.
To conclude, it can be rightly said that while the launch of FASTag technology made it easier for you to travel, Paytm has doubled the ease of handling/using the FASTag technology. Every service is offered to you by Paytm with complete ease and at the comfort of your home. You can easily buy your FASTag on the Paytm app, you don’t even need to recharge it every now and then. Simply add some balance to your Paytm wallet and you’ll be good to go. All the more, Paytm has made it easier for you to buy the FASTag. With Paytm’s DIY FASTag, you can buy your tag from anywhere, even if you don’t have the required documents in your hands at the moment. Paytm has definitely made the use of FASTag a completely hassle-free experience.