The IDBI FASTag uses the Radio Frequency Technology (RFID) to enable cashless transactions at the toll plazas across the National Highway of India. By doing the IDBI Bank FASTag recharge, travellers can make toll payments directly from their prepaid wallets linked with their FASTag.
The FASTag must be applied on to the windshield of the vehicle, which will allow the driver/ vehicle owner to pass through toll booths without having to make any cash payments. Here’s how you can apply and/or activate your FASTag on Paytm.
Only linking the FASTag to the vehicle is not enough unless it has the required balance. It is important to note that if your FASTag does not have the sufficient balance and/or does not work properly, then you may have to pay twice the toll tax amount at the toll plaza as a penalty. To ensure this, you should know how to check your FASTag balance on Paytm at regular intervals.
Recharge FASTag on Paytm
If you find that your IDBI FASTag is short of the desired balance, you must recharge it immediately. Explained below are the steps to recharge your IDBI FASTag on Paytm-
- Open the Paytm mobile application
- You can either-
- Visit the ‘Recharge’ section and click on ‘FASTag’; or
- Select the ‘FASTag’ option on the homepage; or
- Search for the ‘FASTag recharge’ option
- Select your FASTag issuer bank
- Enter your vehicle registration number
- Click on the ‘Proceed’ option and enter the amount that you wish to recharge for
- Select the mode of payment out of Debit Card, Credit Card, Net Banking, Paytm wallet, and/or UPI
Alternatively, you can also click here to do your IDBI Bank FASTag recharge, enter your vehicle number and proceed with the recharge.
How does IDBI FASTag work?
Here’s how the IDBI FASTag works-
- The FASTag is linked to the user’s prepaid account (paytm, for example) and is then fixed to the windscreen of his/her vehicle
- With the use of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology, the toll amount is deducted from the linked prepaid account, such as a Paytm wallet
- The technology works such that the vehicle does not have to stop at the toll gate; the amount gets deducted as the vehicle passes through it
- Your prepaid FASTag account, which could be your Paytm wallet or IDBI mobile banking account, for instance, will then be debited for the transaction; which eventually makes users’ travel easier and comfortable
Let’s take an example to understand this better-
Every FASTag is linked to a prepaid account, such as Paytm Wallet. Right when you buy a Paytm FASTag, it gets automatically linked to your Paytm Wallet and will automatically be visible in the ‘Manage FASTag’ section of your Paytm mobile application. Now, to use the Paytm FASTag facility, you need to add money to your Paytm wallet, and the required transaction amount will be deducted from your Paytm balance as your vehicle passes through the FASTag-enabled toll plaza.
The Government of India has instructed the National Highway Authority of India to convert all the toll lanes to FASTag lanes, thereby making the FASTag facility an omnipresent facility across all the Indian highways.
What are the Benefits of Recharging IDBI FASTag through Paytm?
If you do your IDBI Bank FASTag recharge through your Paytm wallet, you can have multiple benefits in comparison to using any other platform for your FASTag account. Firstly, if you use Paytm for your FASTag transactions, you wouldn’t need to specifically check your FASTag balance or recharge your FASTag account. All you need is to have a balance in your Paytm wallet. Unlike other digital wallets, Paytm does not require you to do your IDBI Bank FASTag recharge account every now and then. All you need is some balance in your Paytm wallet and the toll tax amount will automatically be deducted from your wallet as and when you cross a toll plaza.
Why is it Mandatory to Use FASTag?
There are multiple reasons due to which the Government of India has made it mandatory for all citizens to use the FASTag facility. Let’s understand what benefits does it offer to you-
- Using the FASTag technology, you will not have to lower the speed of your vehicle at the toll plazas. Since you can keep moving at the toll gates, without having to stop, your fuel and your time will be saved
- Since the traffic does not have to stop or slow down, there is almost no congestion or traffic jam at the toll plazas
- Traveling from one city/state to another by road comes across a lot of toll plazas. With the use of FASTag, you can enjoy the benefit of electronic payment, and a completely hassle-free driving experience throughout your journey; leaving the FASTag to take care of all your toll payments
- FASTag also makes it easier for you to keep a track of all your toll expenses. If you use Paytm to make your FASTag payments, you will receive regular in-app notifications and SMSs every time you make a payment through FASTag. Moreover, you can also track your expenses in your Paytm passbook
- The FASTag facility benefits the environment in the long run, as it reduces the use of paper and fuel
- Regular travelers can apply to convert their monthly, regular passes into FASTag passes. There is an online application procedure for corporates and fleet owners to do the same
When Should You Get the FASTag?
The right time to get the FASTag for yourself is now. Since 16 February 2021, the Government has made it mandatory for all travelers to get the FASTag fitted in their vehicles.
Without having the FASTag, the user will have to pay double the toll amount. Considering the benefits offered by the government and organizations like Paytm for using FASTag, the electronic toll payment method is eventually becoming a social norm.