UIDAI’s Aadhaar card is a 12-digit unique identification number. It is generated using the user’s biometric data and demographic information. Every individual in the country is required to have it and quote it for a variety of purposes. Apart from an Aadhaar card, UIDAI has given users the option of obtaining an eAadhaar card, masked Aadhaar card, mAadhaar, Aadhaar PVC card, and Aadhaar letter. All of these Aadhaar cards can be downloaded or ordered online and function in the same way as a regular Aadhaar card (partially in some cases).
In this blog, we will go over everything there is to know about a masked Aadhaar card, including its meaning and how to download it online.
What is a Masked Aadhaar Card?
A masked Aadhaar card is similar to a regular Aadhaar card in appearance; however, in a masked Aadhaar card, the Aadhaar number remains partially hidden. In a masked Aadhaar card, the first 8 characters are replaced with some characters like ‘XXXX-XXXX’ while the last 4 characters of the Aadhaar number remain visible. Other than the Aadhaar number, all the information in a masked Aadhaar card remains intact like name, gender, address, date of birth, QR code.
It is to be noted that a masked Aadhaar card works as proof of identity and is acceptable while travelling, booking tickets, etc. It is important to note that a masked Aadhaar card cannot be quoted to avail government schemes and services. To avail of government schemes and related services, a user is required to submit his/her regular Aadhaar card.
#BewareOfFraudsters— Aadhaar (@UIDAI) July 15, 2021
If you don’t want to disclose your #Aadhaar number, then you can use VID or Masked Aadhaar, it is valid and accepted widely.
To get VID/masked Aadhaar, download e-Aadhaar from here: https://t.co/C190bWfd0U#AadhaarAwareness #aadhar pic.twitter.com/vOe0XiyO2L
How to Download Masked Aadhaar Card online?
To obtain a masked Aadhaar card, the user’s mobile number must be registered with the UIDAI. The steps to obtain a masked Aadhaar card are as follows:
- Visit the official website of UIDAI
- Click on ‘My Aadhaar’ and navigate to ‘Download Aadhaar’
- Enter your Aadhaar number/Enrolment ID or Virtual ID
- Tick ‘I want a masked Aadhaar’
- Click on ‘Send OTP’
- Submit the OTP and fill the required details on the next screen, request an OTP and confirm UIDAI consent
- Next, enter the OTP, complete the survey to download masked Aadhaar card
How to Open a Masked Aadhaar Card?
A masked Aadhaar card is protected with a password. It can only be shared, opened, or used after the password is entered. A masked Aadhaar card password is the first four letters of a user’s name as well as their birth year.
For example, if the user’s name is Sidiksha and her birth year is 1996, her password will be SIDI1996.
Why Should I use a Masked Aadhaar Card?
Some of the reasons to use a masked Aadhaar card instead of a regular Aadhaar card are as follows:
- A masked Aadhaar card allows a user to partially mask his or her Aadhaar number
- It can be used in situations where the user does not want to reveal the Aadhaar card details
- A masked Aadhaar card can only be used by the Aadhaar cardholder
- A masked Aadhaar card can be downloaded at any time, whereas a regular Aadhaar card must be obtained by visiting an Aadhaar enrolment centre
- It serves as proof of identity and can be used to complete a wide range of tasks