With FASTag being mandatory for all four-wheeled vehicles, it is important that you know what it is and why it is important. Let’s understand this before we move on to how and where you can stick FASTag.
A FASTag is basically a tag that must be fitted on the windscreen of all four-wheeled vehicles to enable cashless transactions at toll plazas across the country. The FASTag works with the use of RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology, thereby promoting digitization across the country. Let’s understand how FASTag works-
- The FASTag is linked to the user’s prepaid account and is then fixed to the windscreen of his/her vehicle
- With the use of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology, the toll amount is deducted from the linked prepaid account, such as a Paytm wallet
- The technology works such that the vehicle does not have to stop at the toll gate and the amount gets deducted as the vehicle passes through it
- Your prepaid FASTag account, which could be your Paytm wallet, for instance, will then be debited for the transaction; which eventually makes users’ travel easier and comfortable
How and Where to Stick FASTag?
The FASTag should be stuck on the windscreen of your four-wheeled vehicle. Let’s see how-
- To stick the FASTag on your four-wheeler, you must first remove the white adhesive liner from the sticker
- Behind the rearview mirror, on the top middle of the windshield, stick the FASTag from the inside of the vehicle. Remember to keep the adhesive side of the FASTag sticker facing outside
- Now, press on the sticker gently
- Note that once you have pasted the sticker from inside the vehicle, do not try to remove or reposition it
Things to Remember while Sticking the FASTag
Do not forget to miss out on the following points while sticking the FASTag-
- Ensure that the surface is clean and absolutely dry as you paste the FASTag sticker
- Don’t paste the sticker if you think that the adhesive on it is insufficient. Try to replace it with a new one immediately
- Do not use any other adhesive (such as a tape or the like) apart from that already on the sticker to paste the FASTag
- Never try to peel off or reposition the FASTag once it is pasted
What are the Benefits of Using FASTag?
There are multiple reasons which explain why you should buy the FASTag for your four-wheeled vehicle. Some of them have been explained below-
- Using the FASTag technology, you will not have to lower the speed of your vehicle at the toll plazas. Since you can keep moving at the toll gates, without having to stop, your fuel and your time will be saved
- Since the traffic does not have to stop or slow down, there is almost no congestion or traffic jam at the toll plazas
- Traveling from one city/state to another by road comes across a lot of toll plazas. With the use of FASTag, you can enjoy the benefit of electronic payment, and a completely hassle-free driving experience throughout your journey; leaving the FASTag to take care of all your toll payments
- FASTag also makes it easier for you to keep a track of all your toll expenses. If you use Paytm to make your FASTag payments, you will receive regular in-app notifications and SMSs every time you make a payment through FASTag. Moreover, you can also track your expenses in your Paytm passbook
- The FASTag facility benefits the environment in the long run, as it reduces the use of paper and fuel
- Regular travelers can apply to convert their monthly, regular passes into FASTag passes. There is an online application procedure for corporates and fleet owners to do the same
- While various other digital wallets let you recharge your FASTag on your mobile phone in a matter of minutes; Paytm does not require you to do that either. All you need is some balance in your Paytm wallet and the toll tax amount will automatically be deducted from your wallet as and when you cross a toll plaza
- Upon linking your FASTag account with the Paytm mobile application, you will be automatically notified of all the transactions and toll deductions. This will help you keep a track of the money that you have spent at toll plazas during your travel
- A FASTag has a validity of 5 years
- Registering for a FASTag involves a simple, and quick process
Documents required for FASTag Registration
If you are a KYC-verified user on Paytm or any other mobile banking application, you would only need to submit your vehicle’s Registration Certificate (RC) and nothing else to get your FASTag.
Using Paytm Wallet for FASTag Transactions
Once your FASTag registration is complete, your FASTag account will be created. Your FASTag will automatically be linked to your Paytm wallet post activation and you will be good to go. To link your FASTag to your Paytm wallet, you will have to provide your wallet ID, vehicle number, RFID number, email address, mobile number.
Using the Paytm wallet for your FASTag-related transactions will make it easier for you as you won’t have to recharge your FASTag again and again. All you need is a balance in your Paytm wallet and the toll tax amount would directly be deducted from your wallet as and when you cross a toll plaza.
Having a single Paytm wallet for multiple needs will help you manage your balances and keep a detailed track of all your travel-related expenses, whether fuel, purchases at departmental stores, or expenses made at toll plazas.
- Passport size photographs of the vehicle owner (at least 2)
- Vehicle’s Registration Certificate (RC)
- PAN Card
- Other documents for verification of ID and Address
- Driver’s License
- PAN Card
- Voter’s ID Card
- Aadhaar Card