FASTag was introduced by the National Highways Authority of India as an Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) mechanism. FASTag is basically a sticker (tag) that is to be applied on the windshield of a four-wheeler. The FASTag works on the RFID (Radio Frequency) technology that allows the vehicle to pay the toll tax amount through a lined prepaid wallet without having to stop or make cash transactions at toll plazas across the national highways in the country.
It is to be noted that since 16 February 2021, any user that crosses the toll plaza without the FASTag will have to pay double the toll tax amount at every toll booth that he/she crosses. To ensure that you don’t pay any penalty or extra toll tax amount, it is important that you buy a FASTag for your four-wheeler and stick the tag on it.
While Paytm offers a Paytm FASTag that can be used easily, you can also recharge your FASTag issued by ICICI bank on the Paytm mobile application.
How to Recharge ICICI Bank FASTag on Paytm?
Follow these steps to do an ICICI Bank FASTag recharge on Paytm-
- Open the Paytm mobile application
- You can either-
- Visit the ‘Recharge’ section and click on ‘FASTag’; or
- Select the ‘FASTag’ option on the homepage; or
- Search for the ‘FASTag recharge’ option
- Select ‘ICICI Bank’, which is your FASTag issuer bank
- Enter your vehicle registration number
- Click on the ‘Proceed’ option and enter the amount that you wish to recharge for
- Select the mode of payment out of Debit Card, Credit Card, Net Banking, Paytm wallet, and/or UPI
Alternatively, you can also click here to do your ICICI Bank FASTag recharge, enter your vehicle number and proceed with the recharge.
Use your Paytm Wallet for FASTag Transactions
Unlike other banks that require you to recharge your FASTag every now and then, Paytm only requires its users to add money to their Paytm wallet in order to process FASTag transactions. If you link your FASTag to your Paytm wallet, the toll tax amount will directly be deducted from your Paytm wallet as and when you cross a toll booth.
To link your FASTag to your Paytm wallet, you will have to provide your wallet ID, vehicle number, RFID number, email address, mobile number.
Using the Paytm wallet for your FASTag-related transactions will make it easier for you as you won’t have to recharge your FASTag again and again. All you need is balance in your Paytm wallet and the toll tax amount would directly be deducted from your wallet as and when you cross a toll plaza.
Having a single Paytm wallet for multiple needs will help you manage your balances and keep a detailed track of all your travel-related expenses, whether fuel, purchases at departmental stores, or expenses made at toll plazas.
What are the Benefits of Using FASTag?
There are multiple reasons which explain why you should buy the FASTag for your four-wheeled vehicle. Some of them have been explained below-
- Using the FASTag technology, you will not have to lower the speed of your vehicle at the toll plazas. Since you can keep moving at the toll gates, without having to stop, your fuel and your time will be saved
- Since the traffic does not have to stop or slow down, there is almost no congestion or traffic jam at the toll plazas
- Traveling from one city/state to another by road comes across a lot of toll plazas. With the use of FASTag, you can enjoy the benefit of electronic payment, and a completely hassle-free driving experience throughout your journey; leaving the FASTag to take care of all your toll payments
- FASTag also makes it easier for you to keep a track of all your toll expenses. If you use Paytm to make your FASTag payments, you will receive regular in-app notifications and SMSs every time you make a payment through FASTag. Moreover, you can also track your expenses in your Paytm passbook
- The FASTag facility benefits the environment in the long run, as it reduces the use of paper and fuel
- Regular travelers can apply to convert their monthly, regular passes into FASTag passes. There is an online application procedure for corporates and fleet owners to do the same
- While various other digital wallets let you recharge your FASTag on your mobile phone in a matter of minutes; Paytm does not require you to do that either. All you need is some balance in your Paytm wallet and the toll tax amount will automatically be deducted from your wallet as and when you cross a toll plaza
- Upon linking your FASTag account with the Paytm mobile application, you will be automatically notified of all the transactions and toll deductions. This will help you keep a track of the money that you have spent at toll plazas during your travel
- A FASTag has a validity of 5 years
- Registering for a FASTag involves a simple, and quick process