Ever since the Indian government has made it mandatory to stick the FASTag on the windshield of every four-wheeler vehicle, it has been a rather concerning topic to understand how to activate FASTag.
This blog will take you through what is a FASTag and how you can activate one.
What is FASTag?
Operated by 35 different banks in the country, which are governed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), FASTag is a tag that gets fitted on the windshield of a four-wheeled vehicle to facilitate electronic toll collection across the country, thereby saving people’s time and efforts in the long run.
The FASTag aims to avoid long queues and jams at national highways across the country. The Indian government has implemented the FASTag facility as a cashless model wherein the entire toll tax amount will be collected through the FASTag. Since 16th February 2021, all four-wheelers have to mandatorily get the tag fitted on their vehicles.
The FASTag works on the Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology, aiming to eliminate the manual collection of the tax at toll plazas. Along with saving a lot of people’s time and efforts and cash payments at toll plazas across the country, the FASTag has numerous other benefits as well. Let’s take a look at them!
How can you activate FASTag?
There are two different ways through which you can activate your FASTag. Explained below are the details of both of them-
- Self-activation of FASTag– After you have purchased your FASTag from a POS terminal or an online platform, you have the option of activating your FASTag on your own. You can simply stick your FASTag to the windscreen of your vehicle and link it to your Paytm app. Your FASTag will automatically be activated.
It is advised to link your FASTag to your Paytm wallet as it offers multiple benefits as compared to other banks or prepaid wallets. This is because apart from many additional benefits such as earning reward points, discounts vouchers, and cashback, Paytm eliminates the need to recharge your FASTag account every time you pass a toll plaza. With Paytm, all you need is to have some balance in your Paytm wallet and the FASTag toll amount will automatically be deducted from your wallet whenever you cross a toll plaza.
- Activation of FASTag at certified banks– You can visit your nearest bank branch to purchase and/or activate your FASTag. You can get your FASTag linked to your bank account at the bank’s branch itself.
Paytm Payments Bank also offers the option to purchase your FASTag. You can contact the customer care team at 1800-102-6480 and/or write to the customer care team via email at email@example.com for further queries.
It is important to note that you can apply for your FASTag KYC documentation at the time of activation. Additionally, you might also have to submit your vehicle’s RC (Registration Certificate) to the bank along with your FASTag application.
How to Activate FASTag on Paytm?
If you have a Paytm FASTag, it automatically gets linked to your Paytm Wallet. Hence, you don’t need to activate your FASTag separately. All you need is to be KYC verified and your FASTag will automatically be activated. Just affix it to the windshield of your vehicle & you will be good to go!
Why should you have a FASTag?
Below is a detailed list of the multiple benefits that act as reasons behind the Indian government making it mandatory for all four-wheeler owners to have a FASTag fitted on their vehicles.
- Using the FASTag technology, you will not have to lower the speed of your vehicle at the toll plazas. Since you can keep moving at the toll gates, without having to stop, your fuel and your time will be saved
- Since the traffic does not have to stop or slow down, there is almost no congestion or traffic jam at the toll plazas
- Traveling from one city/state to another by road comes across a lot of toll plazas. With the use of FASTag, you can enjoy the benefit of electronic payment, and a completely hassle-free driving experience throughout your journey; leaving the FASTag to take care of all your toll payments
- FASTag also makes it easier for you to keep a track of all your toll expenses. If you use Paytm to make your FASTag payments, you will receive regular in-app notifications and SMSs every time you make a payment through FASTag. Moreover, you can also track your expenses in your Paytm passbook
- The FASTag facility benefits the environment in the long run, as it reduces the use of paper and fuel
- Regular travelers can apply to convert their monthly, regular passes into FASTag passes. There is an online application procedure for corporates and fleet owners to do the same
- While various other digital wallets let you recharge your FASTag on your mobile phone in a matter of minutes; Paytm does not require you to do that either. All you need is some balance in your Paytm wallet and the toll tax amount will automatically be deducted from your wallet as and when you cross a toll plaza
- Upon linking your FASTag account with the Paytm mobile application, you will be automatically notified of all the transactions and toll deductions. This will help you keep a track of the money that you have spent at toll plazas during your travel
- A FASTag has a validity of 5 years
- Registering for a FASTag involves a simple, and quick process