To avoid long queues and jams at national highways across the country, the government has implemented the FASTag facility, a cashless model wherein the entire toll tax amount is collected through the FASTag. Since 16th February 2021, all four-wheelers have to mandatorily get the tag fitted on their vehicles.
The FASTag is operated by 23 different banks, which are governed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI). The FASTag facility eliminates the manual collection of the tax at toll plazas by using a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology. The idea is to facilitate electronic toll collection across the country, thereby saving people’s time and efforts in the long run.
How can you Pay Using FASTag?
When you buy a FASTag, you have to stick it to the windshield of your four-wheeler. Here’s what happens after you are done with installing the tag on your vehicle-
- The FASTag is linked to the user’s prepaid account such as Paytm
- With the use of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology, the toll amount is deducted from the linked prepaid account, such as a Paytm wallet
- The technology works such that the vehicle does not have to stop at the toll gate; the amount gets deducted as the vehicle passes through it
- Your prepaid FASTag account, which could be your Paytm wallet, for instance, will then be debited for the transaction; which eventually makes users’ travel easier and comfortable
Let’s take an example to understand this better-
Suppose you link your FASTag to your Paytm wallet. Now, to enable the FASTag facility, you need to fit the tag on your vehicle. As you activate your Paytm FASTag, it will automatically be visible in the ‘Manage FASTag’ section of your Paytm mobile application. Now, to use the Paytm FASTag facility, your need to add money to your Paytm wallet, and the required transaction amount will be deducted from your Paytm balance as your vehicle passes through the FASTag-enabled toll plaza.
It must be noted that, unlike other prepaid wallets that require you to recharge your FASTag before you make a transaction, Paytm deducts the toll tax amount directly from your Paytm wallet. So, all you need to do is maintain a balance in your Paytm wallet and you can easily stay away from the hassle of recharging your FASTag every now and then.
Is FASTag Mandatory?
If you own a four-wheeler and don’t have a FASTag yet, then you should be prepared to pay double the toll tax at every toll plaza that you cross on the Indian national highway. Since 16 February 2021, the Indian government made it mandatory for all four-wheeled vehicles to have a FASTag stuck to their windshield. This was done to promote fee payment through digital means, reduced waiting time for travelers, lesser fuel consumption and offer a seamless passage across the national highway in the country.
The road transport and highway ministry stated that all the lanes in the fee plazas shall be declared as ‘FASTag lane of the toll plaza’ with effect from the midnight of 15-16 February 2021. After the said date, any vehicle that enters the FASTag lane without a FASTag or with an invalid FASTag will be liable to pay twice the applicable fee at the toll plaza.
If you still don’t have a FASTag for your four-wheeler, then here’s how can register for a FASTag for your vehicle. Additionally, before registering for a FASTag, you should take a look at the documents that you’d need to submit. The Government of India has instructed the National Highway Authority of India to convert all the toll lanes to FASTag lanes, thereby making the FASTag facility an omnipresent facility across all the Indian highways.
Documents Required for FASTag
Before applying for FASTag, individuals must keep the following documents ready-
- Registration Certificate (RC)
- KYC documents of your vehicle
- PAN Card
- Identity and Address Proof (any one of the following)
- Driver’s License
- Valid Passport (photo of its front page and the address page)
- Voter’s ID Card
- Aadhaar Card (including the address)
To apply for FASTag, corporates must present the following documents, along with their FASTag application form-
- Public Limited/Private Limited/Sole proprietorship
- Certificate of Incorporation/Partnership deed/Registration Certificate of the firm/ Proprietor’s PAN Card
- PAN Card of the corporate address proof of the proprietor (mandatory)
- Photo ID of the signing authority under the Shop Act or any other proof of the firm
- List of directors of the firm with names and addresses of the partners
Use your Paytm Wallet for FASTag Transactions
Once your FASTag application process is successfully completed, your FASTag account will be created. Link your FASTag to your Paytm wallet and you won’t have to face the hassle of recharging your FASTag every now and then. If you link your FASTag to your Paytm wallet, the toll tax amount will directly be deducted from your Paytm wallet as and when you cross a toll booth.
To link your FASTag to your Paytm wallet, you will have to provide your wallet ID, vehicle number, RFID number, email address, mobile number.
Additionally, through the Paytm wallet, you can use the same FASTag for multiple vehicles, if you own any. Using the Paytm wallet for your FASTag-related transactions will make it easier for you as you won’t have to recharge your FASTag again and again. All you need is balance in your Paytm wallet and the toll tax amount would directly be deducted from your wallet as and when you cross a toll plaza.
Having a single Paytm wallet for multiple needs will help you manage your balances and keep a detailed track of all your travel-related expenses, whether fuel, purchases at departmental stores, or expenses made at toll plazas.
- Apply for your FASTag at any issuer agency such as Paytm Payments Bank
- Upload the required documents on the portal, as requested
- Make the payment for your FASTag
- Your FASTag will be delivered to your registered address in a few days