The Employee’s Provident Fund was launched by the Ministry of Labour & Employment in 1952. The ministry has been actively managing and implementing this fund since the time for the promotion of savings among the working professionals in the country. The EPF scheme was implemented to provide social security to the employees and a secure future as a reward for their hard work and dedication to the organizations. EPF was implemented under the Employees’ Provident Funds Act as a compulsory contributory fund for all working professionals.
Under this scheme, both the employees and their employers contribute 12% of the employee’s basic salary and dearness allowance to the employees’ provident fund. It must be noted that while the entire 12% of the employee’s contribution goes to the EPF scheme, only 3.67% of the employer’s share goes to the EPF; the remaining amount gets deposited to the employees pension scheme.
PF Account Number
PF account number or the employee’s provident fund account number is basically an account number allotted to the employees which can be used to check the status of their EPF account, the available balance in the account, etc. To make withdrawals from the EPF account, an employee must mandatorily have the PF account number.
How to get the PF Account Number?
With the introduction of UAN (Universal Account Number), it has become significantly easier to find out the PF account number. UAN is a unique identification number which is allotted to every PF account holder and remains valid for his/her entire lifetime. As the name suggests, the UAN remains unique to every employee. Employees can easily find out their UAN by contacting their employers. One can use either of the following options to find out the PF account number-
- Visit the EPFO office – Employees can visit the EPFO office and get their UAN by visiting the EPF office and submitting their personal details in order to find their PF number or UAN. It is important to present the identity proof and application form at the office.
- Use the UAN Portal – If an employee knows his/her UAN, he/she can easily find the PF account number by simply logging in to the EPFO portal.
- Contact the employer – Employees can also directly contact their employer (HR) to request the PF account number.
- Look at the salary slip – In most cases, the employers mention the PF account number on the employee’s salary slip.
How does the PF Account Number look like- PF Account Number Format
The PF account number is alphanumeric. It includes the details of the EPF account office that handles the operations of the employee’s EPF account along with the organizations’ code. Here’s the standard format of a PF account number-
TN MAS 054110 000 0054321
- The first two letters (TN) represent the state; Tamil Nadu, in this case
- The next three alphabets (MAS) represent the regional office; Chennai, in this case
- The first 7 numbers (054110 0) represent the establishment ID
- The next 3 numbers (00 0) represent the extension code of the establishment ID
- The last 7 numbers (054321) represent the actual PF account number
- The establishment code can be a maximum of 7 numbers and not more
- For most employers, the establishment ID is not available; hence, extension code would not be present. Only big organizations have an establishment ID; hence they have an extension code
- The PF account number can be a maximum of 7 digits and not more
Why is PF Account Number Important?
The PF account number is important for the following reasons-
- Employees can quite easily find their UAN with the help of the PF account number`
- PF account number is a mandatory provision to withdraw the EPF balance
- Employees are not permitted to transfer their EPF balance from their previous member ID to the current one without having the PF account number
- It is mandatory to enter the PF account number to check the EPF account balance
PF Customer Care Number
To get in touch with the EPFO customer care staff, employees can give a call at the PF customer care number, which is – 1800 118 005.
EPFO Member Portal Services
EPFO provides various services to organizations and their employees, helping them understand various aspects of the fund. Listed below are some of the major services provided by the EPFO-
1. Online Registration
Employees can easily complete the Online Registration of their Establishments (OLRE) online on the EPFO portal
2. Generation of UAN Details
Employees can generate their UAN details using the EPFO online portal and then log in to the UMANG application for easy access to all PF-related information
3. Online EPF Subscription
Organizations can easily make the PF payments/subscriptions online
4. Redressal of Grievances
EPF members can raise a complaint in case of queries regarding the settlement of pension, PF withdrawal, transfer of PF, etc.
5. Online Claims Transfer Status and Passbook
EPF members can easily check the status of their PF claims, and/or check/download their PF passbook with the help of a UAN
6. Missed Call and SMS Service
Users can easily get the details of their PF account (balance, previous contribution, etc.) simply by sending an SMS (Format: EPFOHO UAN to 7738299899) or by giving a missed call at 011-22901406
7. EPF Member Passbook
Members can download their EPF Passbook on the EPFO member portal to take a detailed look at the transactions linked to their contributions and withdrawals from the EPF account.
8. Pensioner’s Portal
Employees can get the answers to all their pension-related queries such as Pension Payment Order (PPO), pension credit, passbook details, etc. on the EPFO member portal.
9. One Employee, One EPF Account
The EPFO member portal allows EPF account holders to merge their PF accounts, operated/opened by various organizations under their UAN.
10. TRRN Query
TRRN stands for Temporary Return Reference Number which is used to check the status of the employee’s PF challan payment.
The EPFO member portal provides a helpdesk for all PF related queries of the employees.
12. ECR Portal
ECR or Electronic Challan cum Return portal allows employees to register with the e-Sewa portal and generate a user ID and password. The ECR can be uploaded by the employees with digital signatures.
13. COC Application Form
COC stands for Certificate of Coverage, which is an application form and can be filled through the website.
Wrapping it Up:
PF account number or the employee’s provident fund account number is basically an account number allotted to the employees which can be used to check the status of their EPF account, the available balance in the account, etc. To make withdrawals from the EPF account, an employee must mandatorily have the PF account number. Employees can easily find their PF account number either by contacting their employer, visiting the EPF office or by logging in to the UAN portal. EPF customer care number (1800 118 005) can also be used to get in touch with the EPFO staff.