The e-Aadhaar password serves as a protective measure for the digital version of the Aadhaar card. In this blog post, we will provide a concise understanding of the e-Aadhaar password, its significance, and how it impacts your access to the e-Aadhaar document. Whether you’re a new Aadhaar cardholder or simply seeking clarity, this guide will shed light on this crucial aspect of the e-Aadhaar system.
What is an e-Aadhaar?
e-Aadhaar, a digital replica of the physical Aadhaar card, holds legal status as per the Information Technology Act of 2000. With a valid digital signature from the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India), an e-Aadhaar can be used interchangeably with its physical counterpart. It is important to note that an e-Aadhaar does not replace the physical card but functions in a similar manner. Serving as a valid proof of identity, it contains essential details such as name, gender, photo, date of birth, and the 12-digit unique identification number. Obtaining an e-Aadhaar is possible through the UIDAI website, Aadhaar app, DigiLocker app, or the UMANG app.
What is an e Aadhaar Password?
The e-Aadhaar password serves as a safeguard for the privacy of your personal information on the e-Aadhaar document. Typically, it is created using the first four letters of your name (as mentioned on your Aadhaar card) in capital letters, followed by your birth year in YYYY format. Here are some examples:
Here are some more examples:
- Name: Tisa Lee, Birth Year: 1980, e-Aadhaar password: LISA1980.
- Name: Veena Sharma, Birth Year: 1995, e-Aadhaar password: VEEN1995.
- Name: MUKUND, Birth Year: 1970, e-Aadhaar password: MUKU1970.
- Name: JIA, Birth Year: 1975, e-Aadhaar password: JIA1975.
Remember to use these examples as a guideline and create your e-Aadhaar password using your own name and birth year.
Why is the Aadhaar Card Password Required?
The e-Aadhaar password serves as a crucial security measure to protect the privacy of your personal information on the electronic version of your Aadhaar card. It ensures that only authorized individuals with the password can access and view the sensitive data, including your name, address, and biometric information. Without the password, the information on your e-Aadhaar remains secure and inaccessible to others.
How to Open an e-Aadhaar Card PDF after Downloading?
To open your e-Aadhaar card, follow these steps:
Step 1: Visit the official UIDAI website at https://uidai.gov.in/
Step 2: Click on the ‘Download Aadhaar’ option in the ‘My Aadhaar’ section.
Step 3: You will be redirected to the https://eaadhaar.uidai.gov.in/ page.
Step 4: Select the appropriate option based on your Aadhaar information: Aadhaar number, Enrollment ID, or Virtual ID.
Step 5: Fill in the required details such as your name, pin code, and security code.
Step 6: Request an OTP (One-Time Password) to be sent to your registered mobile number.
Step 7: Enter the OTP in the designated field and click on ‘Download Aadhaar’.
Step 8: Your e-Aadhaar card will be downloaded and saved as a PDF file.
Step 9: To open the e-Aadhaar card, you will need to enter the e-Aadhaar password.
Step 10: Enter the password, which is a combination of the first four letters of your name in capital letters (as mentioned on your Aadhaar card) and your birth year in YYYY format.
Step 11: Once the password is entered correctly, you will be able to view and access your e-Aadhaar card.
What is the Need for an Aadhaar PDF Password?
e-Aadhaar is required in various situations:
- Lost Original Aadhaar Card: If you have lost your original Aadhaar card, you can obtain a new one by contacting the UIDAI.
- Physical Card Destruction: If your physical Aadhaar card is accidentally destroyed, you can use a digital copy as a replacement.
- Digital Copy Usage: In certain cases, a digital copy of the Aadhaar card can be used instead of the physical card.
To print your e-Aadhaar card, follow these steps:
- Download the e-Aadhaar card from the UIDAI website as a PDF file.
- To open the PDF file, enter the Aadhaar card PDF password.
- The Aadhaar card PDF password consists of the first four letters of your name (in capital letters) and your year of birth.
- Once the password is entered correctly, you can open the PDF file and print your e-Aadhaar card.
This password ensures the digital security of your e-Aadhaar card, adding an extra layer of protection.
Why Is an e-Aadhaar Card Protected With a Password?
To protect the sensitive and personal details stored in an Aadhaar card, it is secured with a password. This password acts as an additional layer of security and must be entered whenever the user accesses the downloaded Aadhaar card file. By requiring a password, it helps ensure that the user’s personal information remains protected and prevents unauthorized access to the Aadhaar card data. This measure is in place to safeguard the confidentiality and integrity of the user’s sensitive information.
How to Use Aadhaar Card Password?
To access the e-Aadhaar in a password-protected PDF format, follow these steps:
- Double-click the e-Aadhaar PDF file to open it.
- When prompted, enter the e-Aadhaar password.
- The e-Aadhaar password consists of the first four letters of your name (in capital letters) followed by your date of birth (in the DDMMYYYY format).
- After entering the correct e-Aadhaar password, you will be able to access and view your e-Aadhaar card.
What to do if I Forget my Aadhaar Password?
If you have forgotten the password for your E-Aadhaar PDF, you can try using the default password format. The password consists of the first four letters of your name (in capital letters) and your year of birth in YYYY format. For example, if your name is Jinia Bhushan and you were born in 1980, your password would be JINI1980.
If you are still unable to access your E-Aadhaar PDF using the default password, you can contact the UIDAI for further assistance. They will be able to guide you and provide the necessary support to regain access to your E-Aadhaar.
How to Print Downloaded e-Aadhaar Card?
To print your downloaded e-Aadhaar card, open the PDF file and click on the “Print” option. Adjust the print settings as needed and click “Print” to obtain a physical copy of your e-Aadhaar card.
Benefits of e Aadhaar Card
An Aadhaar card is indeed a 12-digit unique identification number issued by the Indian government to every individual resident of India. The card serves as proof of identity and address and has several benefits. Here are some of them:
- Proof of identity and address: The Aadhaar card is widely accepted as valid proof of identity and address. It can be used for various purposes like opening a bank account, applying for a passport, obtaining a driving license, and more.
- Access to government services: With an Aadhaar card, individuals can easily access various government services and benefits. It helps streamline the process of applying for pensions, subsidies, scholarships, and other welfare schemes. The card simplifies the identification and verification process, making it more efficient.
- Reduction of fraud: The unique identification number on the Aadhaar card makes it difficult for individuals to impersonate someone else. This helps in reducing instances of identity theft and fraud. It provides a more reliable and secure form of identification, enhancing the overall security of government and private sector transactions.
- Targeted delivery of services: By linking Aadhaar cards to various government schemes and services, the government can better target and deliver benefits to the intended individuals. It enables the government to eliminate duplicate and fake beneficiaries, ensuring that the benefits reach the deserving individuals.
- Improved efficiency: The Aadhaar card provides a single, standardized form of identification that can be used across different sectors and processes. This improves the efficiency of various operations, such as opening a bank account, getting a mobile connection, or applying for a passport. The streamlined process saves time and resources for both individuals and organizations.
How to Download e-Aadhaar Card?
To download your e-Aadhaar card, follow these steps:
- Visit the UIDAI website.
- Click on “Download Aadhaar” in the “My Aadhaar” section.
- Choose the option to download using Aadhaar number, Virtual ID, or enrolment ID.
- Enter the required details like Aadhaar number, enrolment ID, or Virtual ID.
- Provide the captcha code and click on “Send OTP.”
- Enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number.
- Verify the OTP and click on “Download” or “Verify and Download.”
- Save the downloaded e-Aadhaar card for future reference.
Remember, you may need to select the option for a masked Aadhaar if you don’t want your Aadhaar number fully visible on the downloaded card.
Also Read: How to Lock/Unlock Aadhaar Biometric?