Since 16 February 2021, the Government of India has made it mandatory for all four-wheeler vehicle owners to install a FASTag on their vehicles. Operated by 23 different banks, which are governed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), the FASTag facility eliminates the manual collection of the tax at toll plazas by using a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology.
The question is how does FASTag work?
- The FASTag is linked to the user’s prepaid account and is then fixed to the windscreen of his/her vehicle
- With the use of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology, the toll amount is deducted from the linked prepaid account, such as a Paytm wallet
- The technology works such that the vehicle does not have to stop at the toll gate; the amount gets deducted as the vehicle passes through it
- Your prepaid FASTag account, which could be your Paytm wallet, for instance, will then be debited for the transaction; which eventually makes users’ travel easier and comfortable
How to Create a FASTag Account?
Now that you know how FASTag works, it is important for you to know how you can register to a FASTag account. Explained below are the steps to register yourself for a FASTag account-
- Visit the FASTag portal
- On the home page, click on the ‘Retail Login’ option if you are an individual customer; if you are a corporate customer, then click on ‘Corporate Login’
- Next, click on the ‘First Timer User’ option
- Now, you need to enter any two of the following details-
- Customer ID (It is a 13-digit number, starting with 17xxxxxxxxxxx, mentioned on the welcome emailer)
- RFID number (It is a 16-digit number, starting with 6xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mentioned on the FASTag)
- Wallet ID (It is a 14-digit number, starting with 17xxxxxxxxxxxx, mentioned on the welcome emailer)
- Vehicle ID (It is the vehicle number; for example- HR29AAXXXX)
- After entering the above details, submit your mobile number which you used to apply for your FASTag, and then click on ‘Next Step’
- Now, to verify your mobile number, you need to click on ‘Generate OTP’
- This OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number; you need to submit the OTP on the portal in order to authenticate the request to generate a password
- Upon successful verification of your mobile number, you will be prompted to enter a new password for your FASTag account
Note that the password should be set such that it is alphanumeric, has at least one special character, one capital letter, and has a total of 8-20 letters. For example- Abcd@1234
- Next, you need to select at least three secret questions from the dropdown menu, with an appropriate answer
- After doing this, click on ‘Continue’ to complete the registration process to access your FASTag account
- The login page will automatically be displayed; where you need to log in to your account using your customer ID and password that you have just created
How to Log in to your FASTag Account?
Once you have created your FASTag account, logging in to the account is a pretty simple process. All you need to do is follow the steps given below-
- If you are an individual customer, then you need to click on the ‘Retail Login’ option on the home page of the FASTag portal; if you are a corporate customer, then you need to click on the ‘Corporate Login’ option on the home page of the FASTag portal
- After clicking on the login option, enter your Customer ID in the ‘User ID’ field (The customer ID is mentioned in the welcome emailer and starts with 17xxxxxxxxxxx)
Note that instead of entering the Customer ID, you can also enter your Wallet ID, which is a 14-digit number, starting with 17xxxxxxxxxxxx
- Next, you need to enter the password and click on ‘Log in’ to access your FASTag account
Creating your FASTag account is the first step to using the FASTag facility on toll plazas across the National Highways Authority of India. Without having the FASTag, you will have to pay double the toll amount. Considering the benefits offered by the government and organizations like Paytm for using FASTag, the electronic toll payment method is eventually being accepted socially.