Banks and card users often get their ATM cards blocked whenever there is a slight chance of any fraudulent transaction or unauthorized payments. ATM cards are also blocked when they expire. However, it is better to replace the blocked cards with a new one or activate the deactivated ATM card activated again for ease and convenience. Quick cash withdrawal or transfer through ATM as well as online payments is the need of the hour and hence you must know how to unblock an ATM card.
Ways to Unblock an ATM card
There are multiple ways to unblock the ATM card. Generally, there are two ways for unblocking the ATM card – either the banks do it automatically or you have to request the banks online, through SMS/call, or by paying a personal visit at the branch. This depends on the cause of the card block and whether it is a temporary card block or a permanent one.
How to Unblock an ATM Card Automatically?
Below are the cases in which you can activate or unblock your ATM cards automatically:
- There is a temporary card block for a day when you make 3 attempts of entering the incorrect PIN. ATM cards are active/usable automatically after 24 hours
- When the cards expire and the banks issue a new card and send it your registered address
- Banks block your ATM cards for security reasons for fear of data breaches. They also block it they send the new ATM cards to existing and active cardholders
How to Unblock an ATM Card through Bank Application?
You may have to reach out to your bank to request unblocking of the ATM card when it is inactive. This is under circumstances like:
- When you blocked your card permanently and did it yourself to avoid any fraud. You can accidentally block your card through SMS, customer call service, internet banking, or at the bank branch. In any case, you can request the bank officials to issue you a new card or unblock the blocked card
- When the banks block your card in suspicion of any uncommon transaction or payment
- When cards expire and the bank does not issue you a new one automatically
How to Unblock an ATM Card through SMS?
You can send SMS in a particular format to the specific number given for blocking/unblocking ATM cards by the bank. You will have to share the details of your debit card as well as account details. This is not applicable in the cases if the card has expired or the bank has blocked the old card to send a new one.
How to Unblock an ATM Card via Call?
You can reach out to customer service and enter the details of your card and bank account to reactivate your blocked ATM card. Once again, this is not possible when a new card is to be issued. Make sure you call from your registered mobile number.
How to Unblock an ATM Card Online?
This is possible through internet banking either on the website or the mobile application of the bank. Just like you can raise a ticket for blocking an ATM card, you can request to unblock it.
Wrapping it up:
In a nutshell, there are multiple ways to unblock an ATM card but in some cases, it may not be possible to activate a card through call or SMS but you have to submit an application for unblocking the ATM card at the bank itself. This is when the doubts regarding frauds, uncommon purchases, or suspicious activities are high. You may have to submit a valid ID proof along with a form.
- Your card has expired and a new one is to be issued
- The bank suspected a security breach of data of customer accounts & cards
- An uncommon purchase, payment, transfer, withdrawal, or any unauthorized transaction is suspected