Banks and card users often get their ATM cards blocked whenever there is a slight chance of any fraudulent transaction or unauthorized payments. ATM cards are also blocked when they expire. However, it is better to replace the blocked cards with a new one or activate the deactivated ATM card activated again for ease and convenience. Quick cash withdrawal or transfer through ATM as well as online payments is the need of the hour and hence you must know how to unblock an ATM card.
We have all experienced the inconvenience of a blocked ATM card, which can prevent us from accessing our hard-earned money. It can happen due to a variety of reasons such as entering the wrong PIN multiple times, expiration, theft, or loss of the card. However, the good news is that unblocking your ATM card is a simple and straightforward process.
In this guide, we will discuss the various methods and steps to unblock your ATM card quickly and easily. So, let’s get started and regain access to our funds!
Ways to Unblock an ATM card
If your ATM card gets blocked or suspended, you may not be able to access your funds, which can be a frustrating experience. Here are some ways to unblock an ATM card:
How to Unblock an ATM Card Through Bank?
The first step is to contact your bank’s customer service or visit the nearest branch to inquire about the reason for the block and request unblocking. You may need to provide some personal identification details to confirm your identity.
How to Unblock an ATM Card Through SMS?
Some banks offer the option to unblock an ATM card through SMS (Short Message Service) as well. Here are the steps to unblock your ATM card through SMS:
- Check with your bank if they offer the SMS unblocking facility and the specific format or keywords you need to use to initiate the unblocking process.
- Send an SMS to the bank’s designated number with the required details, such as your account number, card number, and the reason for the block.
- You may receive an SMS with a confirmation code or a link to confirm the unblocking request.
- Once the bank verifies your identity and approves the unblocking request, you should receive an SMS confirming that your ATM card is unblocked and ready for use.
It should be noted that this condition does not apply to cards that have been permanently deactivated for reasons other than expiration.
How to Unblock an ATM Card Automatically?
Here are the situations in which your ATM cards can be automatically activated or unblocked:
- If you enter the incorrect PIN three times, your card will be temporarily blocked for 24 hours. After this time, it will be automatically active and usable again.
- Banks may block your ATM card for security reasons to prevent data breaches. Once they have completed all the necessary security checks, they may automatically unblock your card.
How to Unblock an ATM Card via Call?
- Contact your bank’s customer service center via phone.
- Follow the instructions provided by the automated voice system or speak to a representative.
- Provide the necessary information to confirm your identity, such as your account number, card number, and personal details.
- Inquire about the reason for the block and request unblocking of your ATM card.
- The representative may ask you to provide additional information or visit the nearest branch to complete the unblocking process.
- Once your identity is confirmed and the block is lifted, you should be able to use your ATM card for transactions.
How to Unblock an ATM Card Online?
Many banks offer internet banking and mobie banking facilities that allow you to unblock your ATM card online. Log in to your account and follow the instructions to unblock your card.
How to Avoid Blocking the ATM Card?
To avoid the blocking of your ATM card, follow these steps:
- Remember your PIN and keep it safe.
- Do not share your card or PIN with anyone, including family or friends.
- Notify the bank immediately if you suspect any fraudulent activity on your account or card.
- Keep your contact details, such as phone number and email, updated with the bank.
- Inform the bank if you plan to travel out of your city or country, so they don’t mistake your transactions for fraudulent ones.
- Use your card regularly for small transactions to keep it active.
- Ensure that your card is not damaged or expired.
- Keep track of your account balance to avoid exceeding your limit.
- Use secure and trusted websites for online transactions and avoid using public Wi-Fi networks.
- Check your transaction history regularly for any unauthorized transactions.
Wrapping it up:
There are several methods to unblock an ATM card. However, if your card is temporarily blocked, you can raise a ticket to unblock it. On the other hand, expired or permanently deactivated cards cannot be unblocked, and the only solution is to replace them with a new one. While you can activate a card via call or SMS, this may not always be possible. In some cases, you may have to visit the bank branch where your account is held and apply to unblock the ATM card. This is usually necessary when there are concerns about fraudulent activity, suspicious transactions, or uncommon purchases. Additionally, you may be required to submit a valid ID proof and a form to complete the process.
- Your card has expired and a new one is to be issued
- The bank suspected a security breach of data of customer accounts & cards
- An uncommon purchase, payment, transfer, withdrawal, or any unauthorized transaction is suspected