It is quite obvious that we can forget the ATM PIN but there is nothing to worry about. You can easily reset and create a new one if you forgot the ATM PIN. While you can do it by personally visiting the bank branch, various alternative ways allow you to reset the PIN without having to go to the branch.
Ways to Reset the ATM PIN
Reset ATM PIN at Bank
To reset the PIN at the bank, you will have to visit the branch where you hold the account. Then, consult an executive to reset your ATM card PIN if you forgot your ATM PIN. Follow the below steps to reset your ATM PIN:
- Fill out the request form for ‘PIN Change’ or ‘PIN Reset’ and submit it to the bank
- The bank provides a temporary PIN through physical paper mail or SMS. The temporary PIN that the bank sends through SMS is also known as Green PIN
- You will have to reset this bank-provided PIN later by generating a new PIN
- A self-generated PIN is confidential and secure. Banks generate a temporary PIN through OTP sent on your number. You must not share the ATM PIN with anyone and never allow others to change it either. Block the card immediately if you suspect any fraudulent activity or if you lose the card
Reset at ATM
Each time you log in to your ATM account at an ATM, it displays several options on the screen. For example, check balance, cash withdrawal, pin reset, etc. You need to follow these steps for ATM PIN reset at an ATM:
- Once you insert the ATM card into an ATM and the card reader reads your card, click on ‘Forgot PIN’
- You will then have to enter certain personal details like your ATM card number, bank account number, type of account, and registered mobile number
- You will be sent an OTP at the number registered with your bank account; enter the OTP to validate the action
- Once you have reset your ATM card PIN, you get a message of a successful PIN change on the screen
Reset through Net Banking
If you forgot your ATM PIN, you can also reset it through internet banking. You can do it either on the net banking portal of the bank’s website or the mobile app. You must have internet banking activated for your bank account, after which you need to follow these steps:
- Once you log in to your net banking site or application, go to the section of ‘Change/Reset PIN’. It can be under the ‘settings’ tab, ‘profile’, or the homepage. Different banking sites/apps have different user screens
- Usually, you may have to enter the new PIN twice for confirmation. Once you enter the PIN, you will receive an OTP on your mobile number
- Enter the OTP to confirm, and successfully change the PIN. You will also receive the notification of the same on the app/website as well as your registered mobile no.
Reset through SMS
The process to reset the PIN if you forgot the ATM PIN through SMS is the same as when you want to change the PIN to a new one from the old existing PIN. Send SMS to the bank’s number which is dedicated to the PIN change facility. Enter details like debit card number or bank account number requesting PIN change. An OTP or temporary PIN that is valid for a few hours is sent. You can go to the ATM, log in with the temporary ATM PIN and change it. Make sure that you reset the ATM PIN before the validity of the temporary ATM PIN expires.
If you forget the ATM PIN or want to change from old to new, you can easily do it. There are various methods to change or reset the ATM PIN; at the bank or the ATM, or via net banking and SMS. Follow the instructions as given by the bank or as displayed on the screen of the ATM/net banking app. You can conveniently and safely change the PIN.