Having a passport is essential for travelling beyond the borders of India. The process of obtaining a passport involves thorough verification to ensure its authenticity. Applicants are required to provide various documents that prove their identity, residency, age, and other eligibility. The documents required for a passport may vary depending on the type you need. To make the process more accessible, the government of India has simplified the application procedure. With the necessary checklist, acquiring an Indian passport becomes an uncomplicated task. Continue reading this article and find your answer to how many documents are required for a passport.
Documents Required for Passport: New Application
The documents needed for an Indian passport application can vary depending on the specific category of passport. Below, we provide a general list of essential documents required for a new passport. Please note that this is not an exhaustive passport documents list, and the exact documentation needed may vary on a case-by-case basis.
- Proof of address: To apply for an Indian passport, it is mandatory to submit proof of address. You will need to provide a copy of any one of the following documents as evidence of your address –
- Voter ID card
- Aadhaar card/E-Aadhaar
- Electricity bill
- Telephone bill
- Water bill
- Gas connection bill
- Bank statement of an active bank account
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Rent Agreement
- Proof of birth: You must submit a copy of any of these documents-
- Birth certificate
- PAN card
- Aadhaar card/E-Aadhaar
- Driving licence
- Photo ID proof: In addition to the above documents, you must submit a photo ID proof and your passport application. You can provide a copy of any of these –
- Aadhaar card/E-Aadhaar
- PAN card
- Driving licence
- Voter ID card
- Passport-size photographs: Include two recent passport-size photographs with a white background as part of your application.
- Other documents: Depending on your specific circumstances, additional passport documents may be required for an Indian passport application. It is advisable to consult the official website of the Indian Passport Seva for comprehensive guidelines to ensure you have all the necessary documents.
Necessary Documents for Minor Passport Application
When applying for a passport for a minor, it’s crucial to provide the specific documents mentioned below.
- Address Verification
- Birth Certificate: This official document establishes the minor’s identity and place of birth.
- School Leaving Certificate of the Minor: School records serve as valid proof of identity and can confirm the minor’s current residence.
- Declaration from the Head of the Orphanage/Child Care Home: Address verification for a minor living in an orphanage or child care facility can be done with a declaration from the head of the institution.
- Policy bond issued by Public Life Insurance Corporations/Companies in the minor’s name: A policy bond is a financial document that can also serve as proof of residence.
- Aadhaar card of the minor: The Aadhaar card, issued by the Indian government, is a widely accepted proof of identity and address.
- Age Confirmation
- Proof of the parent’s current address: This document confirms the residential address of the parent or legal guardian.
- Photo passbook from an active bank account held by the parent: A bank passbook provides evidence of the parent’s identity and address.
- Utility bill in the parent’s name: A utility bill verifies the parent’s residential address.
- Landline or postpaid mobile bill registered in the parent’s name: These bills can establish the parent’s address.
- Aadhaar Card of the Parent: The parent’s Aadhaar card is a government-issued document that confirms their address and identity.
- Rental Agreement of the Parent: A rental agreement is evidence of the parent’s current residence.
In addition to these documents, if either parent already possesses a passport, the following documents may be asked for –
- Original passport of the parent: This is the existing passport of the parent.
- Self-attested copies of the parent’s passport: Copies of the pages of the parent’s passport may be required for verification purposes.
Documents Required for Reissuing a Passport for a Minor
To reissue a passport for a minor, the following documents are required in addition to the mandatory documents.
- Old passport: Original copy of the old passport
- Document eliminating SVP (Short Validity Passport) cause: If the minor’s previous passport was an SVP due to a specific cause, provide a document eliminating the need to issue an SVP.
- Birth proof: A valid birth proof document for the minor, such as a birth certificate, is necessary. This document confirms the minor’s place and date of birth.
- Present address proof: Provide a document that serves as proof of the minor’s present address. It could be a utility bill, school certificate, or any official document showing the minor’s residence.
- Proof of place of birth: In addition to the birth certificate, you may be asked to provide further evidence of the child’s place of birth. It could include hospital records or other documents about the location of birth.
- Declaration confirming minor’s details: Submit a declaration affirming the accuracy of the minor’s details as mentioned in the passport application form. This is typically signed by the parent or legal guardian.
- Recent photograph of the minor: Include a recent photograph of the minor that accurately represents their current appearance.
- Passport of parents: Original passports of the minor’s parents and self-attested photocopies of the first and last two pages, the ECR/Non-ECR page, the page of observation, and the page of validity extension (if applicable).
Mandatory Documents for Re-issuing a Passport for an Adult
When applying to re-issue a passport as an adult, you will be required to provide the following mandatory documents for various reasons.
- Original copy of the old passport: The current or expiring passport that you hold must be submitted as part of the application for re-issuing your passport.
- Self-attested passport copies: To complete the necessary documentation, it is important to make self-attested photocopies of the first and the last two pages of your old passport.
- Page of observation (if any) made by Passport Issuing Authority: If any statements or notes made by the Passport Issuing Authority on your old passport, include a copy of the page containing these observations.
- Page of validity extension: If your passport validity has been extended at any point, provide a copy of the page reflecting this extension.
- ECR/Non-ECR page: Self-attested photocopy of the ECR (Emigration Check Required) or Non-ECR (Emigration Check Not Required) page in your old passport.
- No Objection Certificate/Prior Intimation Letter: You might be required to submit a No Objection Certificate or a Prior Intimation Letter if necessary.
Documents Required for the Tatkal Passport
If you need a passport quickly, the Tatkal passport scheme provides an expedited option compared to the traditional process. This streamlined approach simplifies acquiring a passport and greatly reduces processing times, allowing you to receive your passport within days. The table below outlines the essential Tatkal passport application documents.
|Water Bill||Bill from water utility service with the applicant’s name and current address.|
|Telephone (landline or postpaid mobile bill)||Bill from telephone service (landline or postpaid mobile) with the applicant’s name and current address.|
|Electricity bill||Bill from electricity service with the applicant’s name and current address.|
|Income Tax Assessment Order||Official document issued by the tax authorities confirming the applicant’s address.|
|Election Commission Photo ID card||Official voter ID card with the applicant’s current address.|
|Proof of Gas Connection||Document confirming a gas connection at the applicant’s address.|
|Letter of certification from well-established employers on official company letterhead||Letter from a reputable employer on company letterhead verifying the applicant’s address.|
|Spouse’s passport copy||Copy of the spouse’s passport (first and last pages) with matching address details.|
|Aadhaar Card||Official Aadhaar card issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).|
|Rent Agreement||The legal rental agreement for the applicant’s current residence.|
|Photo Passbook of active Bank Account||Bank passbook from a scheduled bank with the applicant’s name and current address.|
|Proof of Date of Birth (DOB)||Birth Certificate||Official birth certificate issued by the relevant authority.|
|Transfer/School leaving/Matriculation Certificate||School-issued certificate verifying the applicant’s date of birth.|
|Policy Bond||Insurance policy document with the applicant’s date of birth.|
|Service Record or Pension Payment Order||Government service record or pension order with date of birth duly attested by the relevant authority.|
|Aadhaar Card||Official Aadhaar card issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India.|
|Election Photo Identity Card||Elector’s Identification Card is issued by the Election Commission of India.|
|PAN Card||Income Tax Department-issued Permanent account number.|
|Driving Licence||A valid driving licence is issued by the state’s transport department.|
|Orphanage/Child Care Home Declaration||Official declaration from the head of the orphanage or child care home confirming the applicant’s date of birth.|
|Documents Acceptable for Minors||Proof of Address (Parent’s Name)||Documents showing the parent’s name and current address.|
|Water bill||Bill from water utility service with the parent’s name and current address.|
|Telephone (landline or postpaid mobile bill)||Bill from telephone service (landline or postpaid mobile) with the parent’s name and current address.|
|Electricity bill||Bill from electricity service with the parent’s name and current address.|
|Aadhaar card||Official Aadhaar card is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) with the parent’s name.|
|Photo Passbook of running Bank Account (Parent’s Name)||Bank passbook from a scheduled bank with the parent’s name and current address.|
|Proof of Date of Birth (DOB)||Official documents verifying the minor’s date of birth.|
|Other Mandatory Documents||Any 3 documents from the following list are required for Tatkal processing:|
|Aadhaar card/e-Aadhaar||Aadhaar card containing the 12-digit Aadhaar number issued by UIDAI.|
|Elector Photo Identity card||An Elector’s identification card is issued by the Election Commission of India.|
|Service Photo Identity card||Official ID card issued by government, public sector, local bodies, or public limited companies.|
|Scheduled Caste/Tribe/OBC Certificate||Official caste certificate for the respective category.|
|Arms licence||Licence issued under the Arms Act, 1959.|
|Pension document||Pension book or payment order for government employees or beneficiaries.|
|Last passport (Re-issue only)||Previous passport details (applicable for re-issue)|
|Permanent Account Number (PAN)||Official PAN card issued by the Income Tax Department.|
|Post Office, Bank or Kisan Passbook||Official passbook from a bank, agricultural, or post office.|
|Student Photo Identity Cards||Student ID cards are issued by recognised educational institutions.|
|Driving Licence||Valid driver’s licence issued by the state’s transport department.|
|Birth certificate (1969 Act)||Official birth certificate issued under the Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969.|
|Rations Card||Government-issued ration card|
Essential Documents for Diplomatic Passports
Obtaining a diplomatic passport requires a precise set of documents. Here’s a simple breakdown of the necessary paperwork:
- Official identity card: Include a photocopy of your official ID card.
- Forwarding Officer’s letter: Include an official communication from your designated forwarding authority.
- Head of Office’s certificate: Provide an official certificate from the head of your office.
- Political Clearance certificate: If required, provide evidence of Political Clearance.
- Original passport: Include the original official/diplomatic passport (in case of reissuing passport) for cancellation.
- Safe Custody or Surrender Certificate: If the Ministry of External Affairs is holding your original passport, present the Safe Custody/Surrender Certificate.
- Cancellation Certificate: If the Safe Custody or Surrender certificate is cancelled by the Ministry of External Affairs, provide the original Cancellation Certificate.
- Undertaking for diplomats retiring soon: Diplomats retiring within six months of the application date must submit an official statement from their office confirming their commitment to surrender their passport to the office after the official tour.
This article provides a comprehensive guide to the documents required for an Indian passport. Whether you are applying for a new passport, renewing an existing one, or applying for a minor, having the correct documents is crucial. While specific requirements may vary, this guide outlines the general necessities. If you have urgent travel needs, the expedited Tatkal passport process is available to reduce process times significantly. Stay informed about the latest requirements by visiting the official website of Indian Passport Seva.