Navigating toll plazas on highways has become more convenient than ever with the introduction of NHAI FASTag. This electronic toll collection system not only saves time but also contributes to smoother traffic flow. However, to ensure a seamless experience and make the most out of this technology, it’s important to be well-versed with the rules and guidelines associated with NHAI FASTag usage.
In this blog, we’ll provide you with a comprehensive list of NHAI FASTag rules, helping you make informed decisions and ensuring a hassle-free journey through toll plazas.
New FASTag Rules and Regulations
Vehicle owners must be aware of the following updated NHAI FASTag rules and regulations:
- FASTag is mandatory
As per the NHAI (National Highways Authority of India), it is mandatory to use the FASTags. The rule has been effective since February 2021 and applies to all commercial and private vehicles.
- FASTag must be functional
According to the new FASTag rules NHAI, in case the FASTag does not work at the toll plaza, the toll fee will be doubled. Hence you must ensure that the RFID barcode is in the proper state and that the FASTag wallet reflects adequate balance.
- The FASTag 10-second rule
In accordance with the new NHAI (National Highways Authority of India) guidelines, waiting time at the toll plazas must not go above 10 seconds. In case the waiting period exceeds 10 seconds, drivers do not have to pay any toll fee.
- Check the validity
The validity of the FASTag is five years. You must recharge the FASTag timely and ensure there is the required balance while you are plying on the national highways.
- One FASTag per vehicle
You can use one FASTag for one vehicle. As the FASTag is linked to the vehicle’s registration number, you can use this for only one vehicle. You will have to bear a penalty if you use one FASTag for numerous vehicles. If you have more than one car, you must get FASTag for each vehicle.
- Vehicle queue within 100 metres
According to the NHAI rules for FASTag, vehicle queues at the toll booths must not exceed 100 metres. The toll lanes are marked with a yellow line at a distance of 100 metres. In case your vehicle is waiting in a queue far away than the distance specified in the NHAI regulations, you do not have to bear any toll fee and can proceed with the journey. It is done to keep control of the traffic flow.
- Third-party insurance
According to the Motor Vehicles Act 1988, vehicle owners must have third-party insurance. And to do that, you need to have a FASTag assigned to the vehicle’s registration number.
Read more: Documents required for FASTag Application
Benefits of FASTag
Here are the advantages that vehicle owners or drivers can reap upon installing the FASTag:
- Seamless online recharge: You do not have to undergo any tedious process to complete FASTag recharge, as it can be done online. You can quickly recharge the tag via different payment modes like RTGS, NEFT, UPI, credit/ debit cards or by using Paytm FASTag services and maintain the FASTag wallet’s balance. You can also use the NHAI wallet. It is a prepaid wallet that can be recharged using debit cards, UPI, NEFT, etc.
- Track toll expenses: All the transaction details will be sent as an SMS alert on the registered mobile number. This will help you keep a check on the amount of money that is spent during your travel at the toll booths.
- Saves time and fuel: With the implementation of the electronic payment method, drivers need not wait in long queues and make cash payments. You keep moving across the toll plaza and the fee is automatically deducted through the bar code. This not only helps in saving time but also helps to lower the wastage of fuel. Hence, it is an eco-friendly alternative. Further, this payment process does not involve cash or receipts and eliminates unnecessary paper usage.
- Monthly travel pass: Those who are regular travellers can convert their regular/ monthly passes into FASTag passes. There is even an online application process meant for corporates and fleet owners.
- Robust online portal: There is a dedicated online portal from where you can get a replacement in case the FASTag is damaged and retrieve FASTag account details. Further, you can track all the transactions after accessing the FASTag web portals.
- Simple registration process: The FASTag registration process is simple and fast. You can register for it either by visiting the branch of your preferred bank or you can do it online as well from the respective portals.
- Long-term validity: As mentioned above, the FASTag is valid for five years. Hence, you don’t need to worry about the validity of the same and the balance in the account. You can re-register after 5 years and enjoy a seamless journey.
FASTag enables the automatic deduction of tolls, ensuring efficient traffic flow and eliminating the inconveniences faced by travellers. However, knowing the FASTag rules formulated by the NHAI is essential as it enables you to make the most of them and further enhances your travel experience on the national highways.
Can I transfer the ownership of FASTag to someone else?
How to log in to the FASTag account?
What to do if I forget the FASTag account login details?
- Go to the FASTag login portal and choose ‘Forget Password’.
- Mention any two identification details, which can be from wallet ID, RFID number, customer ID, or vehicle ID.
- Enter the registered mobile number and get an OTP and use it for login. Now you can regenerate the FASTag account password.