A driving licence serves as more than just a legal permit to drive; it also acts as crucial identification proof. Unfortunately, there are occasions when individuals misplace, have their driving licences stolen, or accidentally damage them. In such cases, getting a duplicate driving licence (DL) is important to avoid facing significant penalties. The Regional Transport Office (RTO) responsible for issuing the original driving licence can provide a duplicate DL upon request. Some RTOs even offer the convenience of applying for a duplicate driving licence online.
If you are wondering how to get duplicate driving licence, this article will walk you through the process of obtaining a duplicate DL, offering a clear and concise understanding of the required steps for a smooth experience.
Who Can Apply For Duplicate Driving Licence?
Individuals are eligible to apply for a duplicate driving licence under the following circumstances:
- Loss, destruction, or irreparable damage: If your original driving licence is lost, stolen, destroyed, or severely damaged.
- Defacement, tearing, or written upon: When your driving licence becomes defaced, torn, or extensively written upon, making it unreadable or illegible.
- Replacement of photograph: If the photograph on your driving licence is outdated, damaged, or no longer resembles you.
What Are The Documents Required For Duplicate DL?
When applying for a duplicate driving licence, you will need to submit specific documents. The list of required documents might differ a bit from state to state. Here are the essential documents you will typically need to apply for duplicate DL:
- If your driving licence is lost or stolen, you will need to provide an FIR or NCR from the police station.
- If your original licence is torn, mutilated, or soiled, you may need to submit the original licence along with the application.
- In case of a lost licence, you will be required to provide attested photocopies of the original driving licence.
- You will need to provide details of your driving licence, including the licence number, class of vehicle, issuing authority, and expiry date.
- Submit recent passport-sized photographs as per the specified requirements.
- Provide valid address proof documents as required by the RTO.
- Some states may require a separate application and submission of a challan clearance report. This report confirms that there are no outstanding debts or unpaid tickets associated with the driving licence in question.
How To Get Duplicate Driving Licence?
If your driving licence has been stolen or lost, it’s important to visit the nearest police station and file a formal complaint before you apply for duplicate DL. Additionally, you will need to visit a notary’s office to collect an affidavit stating the same.
The process of obtaining a duplicate DL is straightforward and quick, with options available for both online and offline applications. The form used to get a duplicate driving licence is called Form LLD. However, please note that online application facilities may not be available in all Indian states. To check if your state RTO offers duplicate driving licence online services, visit your state’s official RTO portal. For example, you can apply for a duplicate driving licence in Delhi online through the Sarathi Parivahan portal.
How To Get Duplicate Driving Licence: The Online Process
Following these steps to successfully apply for duplicate driving licence online:
- Visit the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways’ online portal and select the specific option for duplicate driving licence.
- Choose the “Services on Driving Licence” option to access a list of driving licence services.
- Provide your driving licence number and date of birth to view your driving licence details.
- Select your state and Regional Transport Office (RTO) from the provided options. Confirm the displayed details of your driving licence.
- Choose the desired driving licence service and proceed. Complete the NOC page and declaration by ticking the box and entering the captcha.
- Fill out the acknowledgement form and upload the required documents as specified on the website.
- Upload your photograph and signature as instructed. Click on “Continue e-Payment” to proceed and make the necessary payment. Keep the generated payment receipt. It can be used as a temporary proof for your daily commute.
Upon successful verification, a duplicate DL copy of your driving licence will be dispatched to your registered address. You can also print the duplicate driving licence from the official Parivahan website.
Alternatively, you can also download the LLD form or Form 2 through the Sarathi Parivahan portal. After uploading the required documents and submitting the duplicate driving licence online form, you will need to print out the form and submit it along with the necessary documents to the issuing RTO. Within 30 days, you will receive the duplicate driving licence via speed post.
How To Get Duplicate Driving Licence: The Offline Process
If you face any issues with the online application or would rather prefer not to use it, you can easily opt for the offline mode, which is just as simple and convenient.
- Visit the RTO office that issued your driving licence. Get the LLD form to apply for duplicate driving licence. Fill out the form accurately and ensure all sections are complete. Don’t forget to affix your signature.
- Submit the filled-out form along with the required supporting documents. Depending on the reason to apply for duplicate DL, additional documents may be requested.
- Pay the designated fee for the duplicate driving licence. After making the payment, you will receive a receipt, which can serve as a temporary substitute for your driving licence until you receive the duplicate DL.
The RTO will send the duplicate driving licence to your registered home address via postal service.
How To Fill The Application Form For Duplicate Driving Licence?
To successfully apply for duplicate driving licence, it’s important to know the information you’ll need to fill out the application form. Here are the details you need to provide while filling the form:
- Full Name and Address: Enter your complete name and address exactly as it appears on your original driving licence.
- Reason for Application: In Form LLD, specify the reason for applying for a duplicate driving licence. If your licence was destroyed, torn, lost, defaced, or mutilated, provide a brief description of the circumstances under which the loss occurred.
- Driving Licence Information: Provide the following details related to your driving licence:
- Driving licence number
- Class of motor vehicle for which the driving licence was issued
- Name of the driving licence holder
- Issuing authority (Licensing Authority)
- Expiry date of the driving licence
- Declaration: Declare that your original driving licence has not been impounded by any authority.
- Signatures: Sign the application form and provide your specimen signature. Also, enter the place and date of signing.
- Online Submission: If you choose to fill out the form online, you can reset or save the information for convenience. After completing the form, you’ll get a PDF copy of your filled details. Print out the form and submit it to the Regional Transport Office (RTO) after signing.
How Much Does A Duplicate Driving Licence Cost?
The duplicate driving licence fees in India vary depending on the type of licence you choose. For paper duplicate DL, the fees is ₹200, while the duplicate DL fees for a smart card is ₹400.
Also Read: Get International Driving License in India
If your driving licence is lost, stolen, or damaged, it’s important to act quickly and get a duplicate driving licence. By following the mentioned steps, you can easily apply for a duplicate driving licence online or offline at the Regional Transport Office (RTO). The process is simple, ensuring a smooth and trouble-free experience that enables you to quickly and easily regain your legal driving eligibility.