There are a few cases when a user may need to change the name on the electricity bill – One is when you shift to a new house and two- when the previous owner of the house has died and ownership of the house has been transferred to his/her children.
Documents Required to Change the Name in Electricity Bill
Here is a list of documents you need to provide along with the application form to change your name in the electricity bill to be submitted to the concerned authorities-
- Customer Identification Number i.e., Consumer Number/CA Number/Account Number etc. (mentioned on any of your previous electricity bills)
- An original and the copy of the last electricity bill
- Attested copy of the sale deed/rent agreement of the property to prove ownership
- Copy of the house tax receipt of the property
- An indemnity bond on stamp paper (You can source it from any notary office)
- NOC provided by the previous owner
- Attested copies of address and ID proof
- Aadhaar Card
- Any other documents specifically requested by the concerned authorities
How to Change Name in Electricity Bill
Once you have all the required documents, you can visit the nearby electricity board office to proceed further.
Follow these steps to complete the process:
- Visit the nearby office of the electricity board and request an application form to change the name on the electricity bill (In some cases, you might have to pay for the form)
- Submit the application along with the documents to the authorities of the respective office
- Authorities will then verify your documents and the application form you submitted; once the verification is done, you may be asked to pay a fee
- The application will then be subjected to further internal processing and a technician may be sent to your address
- Once the technician visits your address and confirms the details, the electricity bill name will be transferred to yours
Even though getting the name changed on your electricity bill is a very simple process, it requires you to physically go to the electricity board office and submit an application for change of name in electricity bill. Additionally, for the documents required, you might also have to visit a few more places such as a notary office or an office of a gazetted officer to get the documents attested.
But once all is done, you can simply submit the application along with the documents and wait for the technician to visit to get the process completed. Now, the exact procedure and the list of documents may differ from one board to another. It is still better to visit the authorities to know the exact requirements before you proceed.
There are a few cases when you need to change the name on the electricity board. In general, when the owner of the house is changed, you need to get the name on the bill changed to your name. The process to get it done is easy and does not take a very long time to get processed.