Owing to the use and importance of electricity in our day-to-day lives, it is vital to ensure an uninterrupted supply of electricity at all times. To ensure this, it is necessary to pay electricity bills on time and to ensure that you must always have the correct details on your electricity bill.
When you move to a new house or when the previous owner of the house sells the house/dies and ownership needs to be transferred, you will have to change the name on your electricity bill. While changing the name on your electricity bill is a fairly easy process, we have explained the steps and the documents required for you in this blog.
Documents Required to Change the Name in Electricity Bill
Here is a list of documents that must be submitted with the application form to the relevant authorities in order to change your name on the electricity bill-
- Customer Identification Number, also known as a Consumer Number/CA Number/Customer ID
- An original and a copy of your latest electricity bill
- Attested copy of the property’s sale deed/rent agreement to prove ownership
- A copy of the property’s house tax receipt
- An indemnity bond on stamp paper (You can source it from any notary office)
- NOC provided by the previous owner
- Attested copies of address proof
- Attested copies of ID proof
- Aadhaar Card
- Any other documents specifically requested by the concerned authorities
Process to Change the Name in the Electricity Bill
Follow these steps to change the name on your electricity bill-
- Visit a nearby electricity board office and request an application form to change the name on your electricity bill (In some cases, you might have to pay a minimal fee for the form)
- Submit the duly filled application form along with the above-mentioned documents to the concerned official at the respective office
- As a next step, authorities will verify the documents and the application form you submitted; once verified, you may be required to pay a fee
- The application will then be processed internally, and a technician may be sent to your address
- The electricity bill will be transferred to your name once the technician visits your address and confirms the details
Even though changing the name on your electricity bill is a simple process, you need to physically visit the electricity board office and submit the form. Additionally, you may also be required to visit a notary office or the office of a gazetted officer to have the documents attested.
However, once everything is in order, you can simply submit the application along with the required documents and wait for the technician to arrive and complete the process. Note that the exact process and list of documents may slightly differ, depending on a specific electricity board.
Also Read: How To Find Electricity Bill Consumer Number