Aadhaar cards contain sensitive information and are created using an applicant’s demographic and biometric information. As a result, UIDAI has provided the option to generate an Aadhaar Virtual ID in order to protect user sensitive data.
To authenticate KYC services, an Aadhaar Virtual ID can be used in place of a physical Aadhaar number. This blog will go over everything there is to know about Aadhaar Virtual IDs and how to get one.
What is Aadhaar Virtual ID?
An Aadhaar Virtual ID is regarded as an alternative to an Aadhaar number. It is a temporary, revocable 16-digit random number generated against an Aadhaar number. Aadhaar Virtual ID includes the following features:
- An Aadhaar Virtual ID can be used in place of an Aadhaar number
- An Aadhaar Virtual ID is sufficient for e-KYC
- The ID remains valid till the next Aadhaar Virtual ID is created (currently set as 1 calendar day, i.e. a new VID be generated after 00:00 hrs on the next day)
- An Aadhaar cardholder is the only person who can generate a Virtual ID
- It can be generated n number of times
- Agencies should not keep Aadhaar virtual IDs on file
- It prevents the misuse of a user’s Aadhaar details
- It is important for the Aadhaar card holder to perform VID-based authentication
- Sending an SMS to 1947 will generate a VID
- There are multiple mediums to generate new/retrieve new Aadhaar Virtual ID
How to Generate Aadhaar Virtual ID?
An Aadhaar Virtual ID can be generated using an Aadhaar number. UIDAI allows users to generate a Virtual ID by visiting the UIDAI official website. To generate an Aadhaar Virtual ID, you must first link your mobile number to UIDAI, as the OTP is only sent to the registered mobile number. If the mobile number is not linked to the UIDAI, it is the applicant’s responsibility to link the mobile number in order to use the Aadhaar Virtual ID feature.
The steps to generate an Aadhaar Virtual ID online are as follows:
- Visit the official website of UIDAI
- Click ‘My Aadhaar,’ then ‘Aadhaar Services,’ and finally ‘Virtual ID (VID) Generator.’
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number, captcha code, and click the ‘Send OTP’ button.
- Submit the OTP and then click ‘Generate VID’ or ‘Retrieve VID’ before clicking ‘Submit.’
- The generated VID will be sent to the registered mobile number
How to Generate Aadhaar Virtual ID through SMS?
An applicant can generate an Aadhaar Virtual ID via SMS by following the steps outlined below:
Send an SMS from the registered mobile number to the Aadhaar helpline number- 1947 in the given format- GVID. Send the last four digits of your Aadhaar number to 1947.
How to Retrieve an Aadhaar Virtual ID through SMS?
The UIDAI has also made it possible for applicants to obtain an Aadhaar Virtual ID via SMS. To retrieve the VID, follow the steps outlined below-
Send an SMS to the Aadhaar helpline number 1947. An applicant must send the message ‘RVIDLast 4 digits of Aadhaar number to 1947’. To retrieve the Aadhar Virtual ID, SMS must be sent from the registered mobile number.
What is the Need for an Aadhaar Virtual ID?
Aadhaar Virtual ID is a key that safeguards the privacy and confidentiality of the user’s demographic and biometric information. It protects users’ Aadhaar-related information because it can be used instead of the original Aadhaar number.
Virtual ID does not include any Aadhaar information about the user. It can be used whenever authentication or e-KYC services are provided. The Aadhaar Virtual ID prevents the potential misuse of the user’s Aadhaar details because the Aadhaar number is not involved or submitted.
Also Read: Link Aadhaar with PM Kisan Samman Nidhi