The deadline to link your PAN with Aadhaar has been extended to June 30, 2023 by the Ministry of Finance. After this date, any PAN card that remains unlinked with Aadhaar will be rendered inactive starting from July 1, 2023.
Failing to link the two documents may result in difficulties while filing income tax returns, opening a bank account, applying for loans or credit cards, and performing other financial transactions that require PAN authentication.
It is advisable for all PAN holders to link their PAN with Aadhaar at the earliest to avoid any last-minute rush or technical glitches. If you haven’t linked your Aadhaar to PAN, do it now by following this process which will take less than a minute and can be completed either online or offline!
How to Link a Pan with an Aadhaar Card?
Follow these easy steps to link PAN with Aadhaar card online-
- Visit the official website of the Income Tax Department of India: https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- On the homepage, you will find a section called “Quick Links.” Under that section, click on the link that says “Link Aadhaar.”
- Alternatively, you can directly visit the Aadhaar-PAN linking page by clicking on the following link: https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-Filing/Services/LinkAadhaarHome.html
- On the Aadhaar-PAN linking page, you will find a form. Fill in the required details such as your PAN number, Aadhaar number, name as per Aadhaar, and the captcha code.
- Make sure that the details you enter in the form match the information on your PAN card and Aadhaar card.
- If your Aadhaar card includes only the year of birth, make sure to tick the box indicating the same.
- After filling in the details, click on the “Link Aadhaar” button.
- If the details provided by you match the details in the Aadhaar database, your PAN card will be successfully linked with your Aadhaar card.
- If there is any discrepancy in the information provided, an error message will be displayed. In such cases, you need to ensure that the details you entered are correct and match the information on both your PAN and Aadhaar cards.
- If you are unable to link your PAN and Aadhaar online, you can do it offline as well. You can download the PAN-Aadhaar linking form from the income tax department’s website or visit your nearest PAN service center to submit the form along with a copy of your PAN card and Aadhaar card.
Check How to Link PAN with Aadhaar Card via SMS
What Will Happen if You Fail to Link PAN With Aadhaar by June 30, 2023?
Under rule 114AAA of the Income-tax Regulations, if you fail to link PAN with Aadhaar, your PAN will become inoperative and you will be unable to provide, disclose, or use your PAN, and will be liable for any consequences mentioned under the Act. The following are some of the implications of this situation-
- You will not be able to file your income tax return with an inoperative PAN
- Any outstanding income tax returns will not be processed
- Refunds that are pending cannot be issued to inoperative PANs
Read more: How to Check PAN with Aadhaar Linking Status
Who should Link PAN With Aadhaar Card?
Section 139AA(2) of the Income-tax Act of 1961 states that individuals who were allotted a PAN before July 1, 2017, must provide the government with their Aadhaar Number to facilitate linking their Aadhaar and PAN numbers.
Who does not Need to Link PAN With Aadhaar?
The following categories of individuals are exempted from the mandatory requirement to link their Aadhaar with PAN-
- People living in Assam, Jammu and Kashmir, and Meghalaya,
- Non-resident Indians (NRIs) according to the Income-tax Act of 1961,
- Those who were 80 or older at any point in the previous year.
Wrapping it Up:
The government has extended the deadline for linking PAN and Aadhaar cards in India. This extension provides individuals with additional time to complete the process of linking their PAN and Aadhaar cards. It is important for taxpayers to take advantage of this extension and ensure compliance with the requirement of linking PAN and Aadhaar. By linking these two documents, individuals can streamline their financial transactions and ensure smooth income tax filing processes. However, it is essential to stay updated with the latest guidelines and deadlines issued by the Income Tax Department to avoid any non-compliance issues.