Synopsis of the News:
- Now you can pay for Delhi Metro tokens using UPI! This is a faster, more convenient, and more secure way to pay for your metro ride.
- UPI payment is now available at over 125 Delhi Metro stations. Simply select the service you want, choose UPI as your payment method, and scan the QR code with your smartphone.
The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) announced that commuters can now conveniently utilize their smartphones to pay for tokens via the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) at ticket vending machines and customer care centers, similar to how it is commonly done at shopping malls, markets, and grocery stores.
Vikas Kumar, the Managing Director of DMRC, inaugurated this service at the Rajiv Chowk Metro Station. This event saw the presence of Jean-Marc Reynaud, MD of Revenue Collection Systems at France SAS, Abhay Sharma, Chief Business Officer at Paytm Payments Bank Limited, and other senior officials from DMRC.
This isn’t the first time that DMRC has enabled the use of UPI for purchasing tokens. This initiative was initially introduced within the Noida and Ghaziabad networks back in 2018 and later expanded to cover over 125 metro stations across the Delhi network. The remaining stations are set to adopt this feature within a week.
In a recent development, DMRC also introduced common mobility cards and facilitated token purchases through net banking and QR codes.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Utilize UPI for Purchasing Metro Tokens
At Ticket Vending Machines (TVM)
- Service Selection: Commuters using DMRC ticket vending machines need to first choose the desired service, whether it’s buying a single journey QR ticket or recharging a smart card.
- UPI Payment Option: After selecting the service, the vending machine presents various payment methods, including the option to pay via Unified Payments Interface (UPI).
- QR Code Display: Upon choosing UPI as the preferred payment method, the ticket vending machine’s screen will display a QR code.
- QR Code Scanning: Passengers can easily scan the displayed QR code using any UPI-enabled mobile app within the designated time frame.
- Payment Process: Once the QR code is scanned, passengers proceed to complete the payment using their UPI app within the allotted time.
- Payment Confirmation: Following successful authorization of the UPI payment, the ticket vending machine processes the payment and issues the ticket or smart card recharge. A transaction receipt is provided upon successful recharge.
At Customer Care Centers
- Service Selection: At DMRC Customer Care Centers, passengers indicate the desired service, such as purchasing a single journey QR ticket, smart card recharge, error adjustment, or obtaining a new smart card.
- UPI Payment Option: The Customer Care Center offers various payment choices, and passengers can specify their preference for UPI payment.
- PID Screen QR Code: Upon confirming UPI as the chosen method, a QR code will be displayed on the Passenger Information Display (PID) screen.
- QR Code Scanning: Passengers can easily scan the QR code displayed on the PID screen using any UPI-enabled mobile app.
- Payment Completion: After scanning the QR code, passengers proceed to finalize the payment through their UPI app within the provided time frame.
- Payment Confirmation: Following successful UPI payment authorization, the DMRC operator provides the requested services to the passenger, along with a transaction receipt for documentation.
Just like payments at shopping malls or local vendors, metro transactions have also been made easier with UPI. You can easily use your Paytm UPI app and recharge your metro card or buy a metro token and make your travel simpler and more convenient than ever.