A PAN card is one of the next most important documents to be submitted for income tax-related processes and other major tasks. Upon applying for a PAN card online or offline, the applicant can also track its status online. When applying for a PAN card, it is crucial to understand the eligibility criteria and the documents required to apply for one. Any missing document or ineligibility factor can hinder the PAN application process.
Once you get a PAN card, you are given the ease to check PAN card details online by following a few easy steps through different portals.
In this blog, we will understand how to check PAN card details online and dig deeper into what PAN cards are.
What is a PAN Card?
PAN is an abbreviation of Permanent Account Number. It is an alphanumeric, 10-digit unique number issued to every taxpayer by the Income Tax Department of India. Every PAN number is different and unique to every individual.
- The PAN number keeps a record of the financial activities of a person
- It is one of the most integral parts of all forms of payments
- A PAN card, by its appearance is a physical plastic card that has one’s PAN number written on it along with his/her name, DOB and a photograph
- The PAN number remains valid for a lifetime as it remains unaffected by any change in address or job profile
- A PAN card can be used as proof of identity
How to Apply for a PAN Card?
There are two ways to apply for a PAN card- Online and Offline. Follow the steps written below to apply for a PAN card-
Apply for a PAN Card Online
- Visit the official web portal of NSDL or UTIITSL
- Locate the PAN application form and fill it properly
- Submit all the required documents with 2 passport size photographs
- Pay the required fee
- Your PAN card will be dispatched to your registered address within 15 days or according to the applicant’s communication address
Apply for a PAN Card Offline
- Visit the PAN centre
- Fill in the PAN application form with accurate information and submit 2 passport size photographs
- Now, submit all the supporting documents, and processing fees along with the application
- Your PAN card will be dispatched within a span of 15 days from the date of submission
How to check PAN card details online?
PAN card details can be searched by name, date of birth, address and number. Given below are the ways to check PAN card details online and easily-
How to check PAN card details by name and date of birth
Following are the steps the applicant needs to follow to check PAN card details using name and date of birth-
- Visit the official website of Income tax e-filing website- https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal/
- Navigate to ‘Verify your PAN’ under the ‘Our Services’ section
- Next, enter PAN number, name, date of birth and mobile number and click on continue
- Select the status from the given options like HUF, individual, body of individuals, etc.
- Enter the captcha code and click on ‘Submit’
- The applicant will be redirected to the next page with PAN card details
How to Check Address Details in a PAN Card?
An applicant needs to follow the given instructions to check address details in a PAN card-
- Visit the official website of the Income e-filing website
- Click on ‘Register yourself’
- Select the user type, PAN number and click on ‘Continue’
- Next, enter basic details, fill the registration form and submit it
- A link will be sent to the email address to activate the account
- Now, login to the income tax website, add the credentials and click on ‘PAN details’
How to Check PAN Details by PAN number?
To check PAN details by PAN number, the applicant can follow the given instructions carefully-
- Login to the official website of Income-tax e-filing website
- Click on ‘Register yourself’ and enter the PAN number
- Get the information filled in the given boxes and submit them
- A link will be sent to the registered email address for account activation
- Next, go to ‘My account’ and click on ‘PAN details’
- All the information will be displayed on the screen
List of Documents to be Submitted to Get a PAN Card
Indian nationals are required to fill form 49A to the PAN card concerned authority. Failing to furnish the supporting documents can hinder the PAN application process. The table given below shows the list of documents to be submitted to acquire a PAN card–
|Indian Nationals||Eligibility Criteria|
|Individual||Indian citizens should have-Identity Proof|
Address ProofDate of Birth Proof
|Trusts||A trust is liable to provide-Trust Deed and Certificate of Registration number issued by Charity Commissioner|
|Association of Persons||Registered Associations are required to submit a Registration Certificate|
|Partnership Firms||A firm should have-Copy of Certificate of Registration issued by Registrar of Firms or Copy of Partnership Deed|
|Limited Liability Partnership||The LLP should submit-Copy of Certificate of registration issued by the Registrar of LLPs|
|Artificial Judicial Person||Artificial Judicial Person will be asked to submit Registration Certificate or Government Identity and Address Proof|
|Hindu Undivided Families||HUF’s Head can apply for a PAN card on behalf of the family members by submitting the following-Head’s Proof of IdentityHead’s Proof of Address|
Date of Birth Proof
Head’s Fathers Name
Address of all the Coparceners
Affidavit with all the details has to be created and submitted by the Head of HUF
|Local Authorities||Local Authorities need to submit a Copy of the Agreement|
|Minors||Parents, on behalf of the minor, can also apply for a PAN card by submitting the following-Parents of a minor can sign Form 49A on the minor’s behalf|
Parents ProofMinor’s Date of Birth ProofAADHAR card of the minor should be quoted in the Form 49A
|Person with Intellectual Disability||On behalf of a person, his/her representative can apply for a PAN card|