Having too many credit cards for a long time may be too overwhelming. In such situations, it is better to get rid of the ones that you don’t use often by deactivating them. Even though the guide on how to deactivate your credit card varies from one bank to another, there are few common steps that you can follow to deactivate your credit card.
Here is a step-by-step guide for the same!
Steps to Deactivate Credit Card via Customer Care
You can contact your bank’s customer service executives and ask them to deactivate your credit card. Once you raise this request with your bank’s customer support executive, the agents from your bank will contact you and explain the further steps to be followed. You will be asked about the reason for cancelation of your credit card along with a few details about the same.
You can easily find the details of your bank’s customer support staff on the bank’s official website.
Steps to Deactivate Credit Card via Post
To deactivate your credit card via post, you need to write a letter and mail it to your bank/credit card issuer. The letter should contain all the details about your credit card and send it to the concerned department in your credit card’s bank through ordinary or registered post.
The postal address of the bank/credit card issuing company can be found easily on the official website of your bank.
Steps to Deactivate Credit Card via Email
You can send an email request to your bank/credit card issuer regarding the deactivation of your credit card. All you need to do is provide your crest card and personal details and request for deactivation. Your request will be processed after the verification of details provided by you.
You can find the email address to be written to, on the official website of your bank/credit card issuer.
Steps to Deactivate Credit Card via Website
Some banks/credit card issuers offer the option of deactivating your credit card at the comfort of your home through the bank’s official portal. All you need to do is follow these steps-
- Log in to the bank’s official website using your credentials
- Click on ‘Credit Card’, and select ‘Deactivate’
- Fill in the deactivation form by entering the required details and click on ‘Submit’
After submission of the form, you will be contacted by the bank’s representative for confirmation and your request will be processed further.
Points to be Considered While Deactivating your Credit Card
As you move on to deactivate your credit card, consider the following points-
- Ensure that there is no outstanding balance in your credit card account
- Read about the credit card deactivation procedure of your bank thoroughly
- Use all the rewards, and discount vouchers on your credit card
- Cancel all the auto-payments and bill transfers on your credit card
- Check your credit card statement to confirm that there are no last-minute charges on your card
- Confirm the exact date of deactivation of your credit card with the customer care executives
- Make sure that you get a written confirmation from the credit card issuer that your card was deactivated and that your account was closed
- It is important to note that when you deactivate a credit card, any other add-on card associated with will automatically be deactivated
- Once you raise the request for credit card deactivation, you will not be able to transfer your balance from this card to the other