To avoid duplication in the official records or to ensure that no one is taking advantage of your LPG subsidy, you might need to change the name on your LPG connection records. The procedure to regularize or change the name in the records is identical for all the three big gas companies, namely Bharat Petroleum, Indian Oil Corporation and Hindustan Petroleum. The process includes filling the ‘Annexure E’ of the form for transfer of LPG connection.
Earlier LPG was distributed to the consumers based on a non-centralized registry of consumers; however, with the new rules, it has become mandatory for consumers to keep KYC and the DGCC booklet updated.
Why is it necessary to change the name in LPG records?
The consumers need to have their KYC and records updated so that no one takes advantage of their subsidy. Therefore, it is important that consumers are registered with the gas providers with their correct name, address and other details. By filling the requisite form and submitting it to their agency, one can easily get their name changed in the LPG connection records.
There can be various reasons such as the official change of an individual’s name or others due to which one might want to change the name in gas connection records. Irrespective of whatever the reason is, it is very easy to get the name changed in the records if it does not match to your current name, or that in your documents.
Cases where one needs to change the name in LPG records
As per the rules, there are 5 cases where it is acceptable to change the name in the LPG connection. These rules are listed below-
- Transfer of connection to a family member: In this case, the change is only applicable to the original consumer’s family members such as father, mother, brother, sister, son or daughter. Here, a declaration must be signed by both the transferor and transferee and must be submitted along with the ID and address proof.
- Transfer of connection outside the family: A consumer can transfer his/her LPG connection to a citizen outside his/her family as well. Here, the requisite form should be filled and signed by both parties and should be submitted along with the ID and address proofs.
- Transfer of connection without the consent of the transferor: An LPG connection can also be transferred to another person without the consent of the transferor. Here, the transferee needs to fill the requisite form and submit it along with the required documents.
- Transfer of connection due to the death of connection holder: In such an unfortunate event where the connection holder passed away, the connection can be transferred to another person such as their legal heir or another family member. Here, a death certificate and all the other documents for KYC must be submitted by the transferee.
- Regularization of an LPG connection: If an LPG connection is held without a subscription voucher, regularisation is needed. A set of KYC documents and the requisite form both, filled and signed need to be submitted.
There may be several cases where the LPG gas consumers need to get the name changed on the records. There are 5 possible cases where it is allowed to make such a change. The consumers need to fill the requisite form and submit documents to their gas agency for getting the name changed in the documents.
- The demise of the previous connection holder
- Change of name of the connection holder in the records
- Transfer of the connection to another person