In today’s digital age, managing business operations efficiently and complying with tax regulations often require us to embrace technology. The E-Way Bill Portal is a crucial platform designed to streamline the movement of goods in India and ensure hassle-free tax compliance.
Whether you’re a business owner looking to generate E-Way Bills for your shipments or a transporter responsible for their validation, this comprehensive guide will walk you through the process of logging in and registering on the E-Way Bill Portal.
Table of content
- What is E-Way bill?
- How to Login to the e-Way Bill Portal?
- Guidelines for Creating e-Way Bill Login ID- Username and Password on the e-Way Bill Portal
- E-Way Bill Registration Process for Taxpayers/Registered Transporters
- E-Way Bill Registration Process for Unregistered Transporters under GST
- Ways to Generate E-Way Bill on the E-Way Portal
- How to Create an e-Way Bill on the e-Way Bill Portal- The Process
What is E-Way bill?
An E-Way Bill (Electronic Way Bill) is a digital document or electronically generated bill that is required for the movement of goods in India. It serves as proof that the goods being transported comply with the appropriate tax regulations. The E-Way Bill system was introduced in India to ensure transparency, reduce tax evasion, and streamline the transportation of goods across state borders.
Here are some key points about E-Way Bills:
- Generation Requirement: E-Way Bills must be generated for the movement of goods worth more than a specified threshold amount, both for interstate and intrastate transactions.
- Information Included: The E-Way Bill contains details about the consignment, the parties involved (supplier, recipient, and transporter), the nature of goods, and the vehicle used for transportation.
- Validity Period: E-Way Bills are typically valid for a specific duration depending on the distance to be traveled. They need to be updated or extended if the goods do not reach their destination within the stipulated time.
- Transporter’s Role: Transporters play a crucial role in the E-Way Bill process. They are responsible for ensuring that the E-Way Bill is with the goods during transit and that it matches the physical details of the shipment.
- Enforcement: Tax authorities and checkpoints may verify E-Way Bills during transit to ensure that the goods are being transported in compliance with the law.
- Penalties: Failure to generate or carry a valid E-Way Bill can lead to penalties and seizure of goods.
E-Way Bills have become an essential part of the logistics and supply chain management in India, helping businesses meet their tax obligations and ensuring smoother transportation of goods across state borders. The E-Way Bill system is designed to be user-friendly and accessible through an online portal, making it convenient for businesses to generate and manage E-Way Bills for their shipments.
How to Login to the e-Way Bill Portal?
To complete your e-way bill login process, simply follow these steps-
- Access the official EWB portal using this link – https://ewaybill.nic.in/ and select the “Log in” option on the dashboard.
- Enter your username, password, and the captcha code shown in the image into the designated fields and proceed by clicking on the “Login” button.
Guidelines for Creating e-Way Bill Login ID- Username and Password on the e-Way Bill Portal
For User ID – Your e-way bill login ID should consist of 8 to 15 characters.
It can comprise alphabets (both uppercase and lowercase: A-Z/az), numerals (0-9), and special characters (@, #, $, %, &, *, ^).
For Password – Your password needs to be a minimum of 8 characters.
Ensure the security of your Username and Password. Subsequently, employ these credentials to log in to the e-way bill portal.
E-Way Bill Registration Process for Taxpayers/Registered Transporters
Step 1: Go to the E-Way Bill portal.
Step 2: On the homepage, click “Registration” in the menu, then choose “e-Way Bill Registration.”
Step 3: Type in your GSTIN and the captcha code, then click “Go.”
Step 4: Get an OTP and verify it.
Step 5: Your GSTIN details will fill in automatically. If they’re not correct, click “Update from GST Common Portal” to get the latest data.
Step 6: After checking the filled-in info, click “Send OTP.” Enter the OTP you receive on your mobile and confirm it by clicking “Verify OTP.”
Step 7: Create a new User ID and Password.
Step 8: Enter the User ID and choose a password you like. The system will let you know if there are any mistakes.
Step 9: Once everything is correct, your user ID and password will be ready. (Check the tips section for help)
E-Way Bill Registration Process for Unregistered Transporters under GST
When is e-Way Bill registration necessary for unregistered transporters?
An unregistered transporter must create an e-Way Bill if the value of goods in a single supplier’s consignment exceeds Rs. 50,000 or if the combined value of all goods being transported in a vehicle exceeds Rs. 50,000.
What does a transporter ID signify?
Even if a transporter lacks GST registration, it must still produce e-Way Bills if the goods’ value surpasses the aforementioned threshold. As they won’t possess a GSTIN, the concept of a Transporter ID was introduced. Each unregistered transporter receives a unique Transporter ID, which they must include on each e-Way Bill in lieu of a GSTIN.
Also Read: About Goods and Services Tax (GST) in India
Procedure for Handling Goods from Unregistered Suppliers
When goods are received from an unregistered supplier by a registered recipient, the receiving party must adhere to all protocols for generating an e-Way Bill, as if they were the original supplier of those goods. Consequently, the recipient is obliged to generate an e-Way Bill.
Ways to Generate E-Way Bill on the E-Way Portal
The Eway Bill (EWB) portal offers a smooth pathway to generate various e-Way bills, including both individual and consolidated options. It also facilitates actions such as updating vehicle numbers on previously generated EWBs, canceling issued EWBs, and more.
Eway bills using the EWB-01 format can be created using either of the following methods:
- Through the Website
- Via SMS
- Utilizing the e-Invoicing system
How to Create an e-Way Bill on the e-Way Bill Portal- The Process
- Access the e-way bill system using this link.
- Provide your Username, password, and Captcha code, then select ‘Login’.
- Choose ‘Generate new’ located under the ‘E-waybill’ section visible on the left side of the dashboard.
- Input the required details on the displayed screen.
- Transaction Type – Select ‘Outward’ if you supply consignment and if you receive the consignment, select ‘Inward’.
- Sub Type – Select only those options that suit your business
- Document Type – Select the type of document you have, whether Invoice, bill, challan, credit note, bill of entry, or others if your document type is not listed
- Document Number – Enter the document/invoice number
- Document Date – Enter the date of invoice/challan/document.
- From/To – Select these details depending on whether you are a supplier or a recipient
- Item Details – Add the required details of your consignment such as product name, description, HSN code, quantity, unit, taxation value, tax rates, etc.
- Transporter Details – It is mandatory to mention the mode of transport (whether rail, ship, road, or air) and the approximate distance covered.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button. The system will verify the entered data and display an error message if any discrepancies are found.
- If no errors are detected, your request will be processed, resulting in the generation of an e-way bill in Form EWB-01. This bill will be assigned a distinct 12-digit number.
- You can now take your e-way bill print out and ensure its presence while transporting the goods using the chosen mode of transportation and the designated conveyance.
In conclusion, accessing and utilizing the E-WAY Bill portal is a streamlined process that empowers businesses to seamlessly manage their transportation needs. By following the step-by-step guide for both logging in and registration, users can navigate through the portal with confidence. The portal not only simplifies generating e-Way Bills but also provides a user-friendly interface for making changes, cancellations, and consolidations. With these insights, businesses can harness the portal’s capabilities to efficiently comply with e-Way Bill requirements, ensuring a smooth flow of goods in today’s dynamic trade environment.