It’s hot outside, but an AC inside can cool everything! Well, if you are planning to buy an AC, it is essential to know a lot of things about it. A few questions like how much electricity does an AC consume, what would be the AC power consumption, how to calculate the power consumption of AC, etc.- all before you make the final call to buy an AC.
This blog will explain everything about AC power consumption, how much electricity an AC uses, how to calculate power consumption of AC and more!
What are the Types of AC?
The table below shows the types of AC and what makes them different from each other-
|Types of AC||Features|
|Split Air Conditioners||Split AC consists of-Outdoor unit|
The evaporator unit is placed inside the room
Condenser- compressor unit combination is placed outside the room
|Central Air Conditioners||Supply cooling through supply and return ducts|
Cooling unit like compressor, condenser, the evaporator is placed outside
|Window AC||Used for residential purposes|
Such ACs are made up of a single unit that contains a condenser, compressor, evaporator all together
What are the Factors that Affect AC Power Consumption?
There are numerous factors that affect the AC power consumption, a few among them are written below-
- Number of people in a room affects the AC power consumption. For example- a room of 20-25 people requires multiple ACs, whereas a room with 3-5 people requires a single AC to cool the room
- The size of the room plays a major role when it comes to AC power consumption. The larger or bigger the room is, the more will be the AC power consumption. Similarly, smaller rooms do not consume higher AC electricity consumption
- The temperature outside and inside the room affects the AC electricity consumption. If the temperature outside is more than 35 degrees, the AC requires more electricity to cool the room
- Total number of electrical appliances inside the room generates more heat, which eventually increases the AC power consumption to cool the room
- 5 star rated AC helps in saving energy, whereas, 1 star or 2 stars ACs demonstrates higher AC power consumption
- The choice of AC like window AC, Inverter AC, split AC, central AC affects the AC power consumption
How to Calculate AC Power Consumption?
Listed below are a few important things to consider when calculating AC power consumption-
- KW rating of the AC ( it is available on the AC nameplate)
- The AC’s daily total running hours
- The total cost of 1 unit of the electricity board (let’s consider Rs. 6 as the per unit cost of the electricity)
The formula to calculate AC power consumption is-
Units per month = kW of AC * Daily running hours * 30 or 31 (month)
Now, let us calculate the AC power consumption by taking an example. For example- There is a branded AC with 1.5 kW that runs for 8 hours a day.
So, the total power consumption of that AC will be, 1.5 * 8* 30 =360 units per month
Next, to calculate the electricity bill consumed by AC in a month, let us assume Rs. 6 as the per-unit cost of the electricity. Hence, the electricity bill in a month will be-
The electricity bill for AC in a month= Units per month * Cost of one unit
= 360 units * Rs 6
= Rs. 2160
How to Reduce AC Power Consumption?
If you are worried about high AC bills every month, following are some of the tips or tricks to reduce AC power consumption-
- Switch off the AC when it is not in use
- Keep the AC temperature ideal
- Ensure to keep its maintenance up to date
- Change your AC as soon as you realize it is consuming more energy
- Sell, buy or exchange your AC if it is old
- Run the ceiling run if you want to cool the room a little faster
- Opt for IoT device as the device helps in switching off/on the appliances when in use or not in use
- Close door and windows to cool the room fast
- Clean the AC filters timely
- Make sure that your AC does not receive direct sunlight. Keep the AC compressor in shade
What are the things to be taken care of before buying an AC?
- AC ratings
- Type of AC
- Maintenance cost
- AC with their weight
- ACs cooling capacity
- Power consumption of AC
*Make sure to compare the number of brands, the services they offer, etc before buying an AC
How to Make Electricity Bill Payment Online?
Given below are the steps to pay electricity bills online through Paytm-
- Pay electricity bill on the Paytm website
- Login to the Paytm website
- Navigate to ‘Recharge & Pay Bills’
- Click on ‘Pay Electricity Bill’
- Select the electricity bill payment option
- Next, enter the state, board and consumer number
- Enter the amount
- Proceed with Paytm wallet as a mode of payment to complete electricity bill
- Pay electricity bill on the Paytm application
- Login to the Paytm application
- Locate ‘Recharge & Bill Payments’
- Click on ‘Electricity’ and choose the desired ‘Electricity Bill Payment’
- Next, enter the state and choose the board
- Write down the consumer number and proceed to enter the electricity bill amount
- Choose Paytm wallet as a mode of payment to complete electricity bill
It is advised to compare a number of AC brands before finalizing one. The comparison should be based upon AC maintenance cost, services offered by the brand, the price, the AC rating, AC’s cooling capacity and more. Apart from that, it is good to analyze the cost a user needs to incur to use an AC.